Google Maps on 2022 refresh, getting data

FYI, to use directions on the built in google maps, internet availability is needed.  So one can pay the subscription ($15/$25), or you can connect to the hotspot on your phone.  I had a chance to try it out yesterday, now that my free month of data is gone.  I don't use any of the streaming music services, so can't speak on that.  Assumption is streaming would work with hotspot also.

2 hours ago, Rob Mugs said:

I don't have a 2022 refresh.. yet

Can you still use Android Auto and step around the built-in?

Yes it has wireless Android auto and car play capabilities.

Does the system have a built-in NAV system that does not require either a hotspot or data?  So in other words, to get NAV in any shape or form, it has to have wifi?  I know about Carplay/AA just wondering about what it comes delivered with.  If so, that's kind of crappy if you asked me.

3 hours ago, cltsig said:

Does the system have a built-in NAV system that does not require either a hotspot or data?  So in other words, to get NAV in any shape or form, it has to have wifi?  I know about Carplay/AA just wondering about what it comes delivered with.  If so, that's kind of crappy if you asked me.

No, the system is based around the Google Car platform. To use the Google Maps the truck has to have a data connection.

13 hours ago, mjonesjr84 said:

No, the system is based around the Google Car platform. To use the Google Maps the truck has to have a data connection.

You can download offline maps at various map scales using your homes wifi before you leave on a trip. Or use your hotspot to set directions and Google maps should save the directions and general roads along the route in the temporary files folder. 

This is all assuming the Google maps works completely the same as it does on all Android operating systems. So far as I have been using it, it is pretty much the same.

• 3 weeks later...

First off the truck is a data hog.  I picked it up May 4th and by May 17th the data was gone. The  weather was nice so I was riding my motorcycle and I had only actually drove the truck 4 times maybe.

I tried to hot spot it to my iPhone the truck will not even see the hot spot.

If you use offline maps they expire after 1 day and then vanish.

It's looking like it's all setup to force you to buy data.

If anyone hot spotted an iPhone to the thing Please let me know what you did to make it work. I even tried to manually enter the hotspot name/password and nothing.

Makes me mad I have unlimited data on my phone.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, BigBadSierra said:

First off the truck is a data hog.  I picked it up May 4th and by May 17th the data was gone. The  weather was nice so I was riding my motorcycle and I had only actually drove the truck 4 times maybe.

I tried to hot spot it to my iPhone the truck will not even see the hot spot.

If anyone hot spotted an iPhone to the thing Please let me know what you did to make it work. I even tried to manually enter the hotspot name/password and nothing.

I would check to see what signal your hotspot is transmitting on. My guess is the refresh infotainment will only recognize 5 gHz transmissions and not the old 2.4 ghz Wi-Fi signal

• Like 1

Well I messed with the Compatibility setting and the truck now sees my IPhone.

But I have confirmed Hey Google and advanced Map features will only run off of the truck data plan. It actually bring up a message stating this.

So the only thing I've gained is google maps basic operation.

The truck will not even pass the speed limit over to the dash from maps.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, BigBadSierra said:

I just (re) checked on my android phone .

Maps areas covering routes I have viewed in the last few days have automatically saved the regions in 'offline maps' have expiration dates that are a year away, not a day away. 

I have no idea how long googlemaps stores them on an iphone -- it I'd guess they should be the same?

7 hours ago, Bcp23 said:

Is the maps on the right side where the clock is part of the data plan? Because mine vanished after a couple weeks??

Yes. The small map on the right requires the data plan to work.

• 3 months later...

So I've red multiple threads regarding the functionality of the built-in Google Maps working or not working WITHOUT a data plan and some mention it flat out does nothing like inputting a location and getting directions to it and others say it works. If it is connected to a hotspot does the built-in Google Map capable of giving directions minus the "Advanced Feature - speed limit display and Hey Google"? Just trying to understand the design it was meant to be.