Ham Radio Electrical Connection to Battery 2022 Silverado LT

chem_man

Question

Hi,

This question is for a 2022 Silverado LT (refreshed interior) with a 5.3 L V8.

I am getting ready to run some 10 gauge red/black zip cord through the firewall on the passenger side and connect it to the battery.  This is my first experience with a vehicle with a Battery Management System.  I will be connecting the red part of the cable directly to the positive post of the battery, but I am unsure if I should connect the black wire directly to the negative battery terminal without going through the current sensor, or should I run the black lead through the sensor ring?

At most, the transceiver would be running 100 watts output and according to the radio manufacturer, the radio pulls about 22 amps when it is putting 100 watts RF into the antenna.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

If it were mine, I'd run the current through the sensor, just so the ECU knows how much is being used so that it can charge the battery accordingly. From my experience it seems they put fuel mileage as a priority over battery life. I'd personally prefer that reversed, but this is the world we live in. That's my reasoning for going through the sensor - the battery is going to need all the help it can get to make it just 6 years (When they used to last 8-10 on average without electronics).

Here is an article that may be useful for your project in case you haven't seen it already.

http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html

Here is one sentence that is  in the article.

It is imperative that the ELD not be bypassed when wiring amateur radio equipment, so typical wiring recommendations found in Owner's Manuals should not be followed!

Edited by Duelin
A double copy of the posted link
  • Like 1

FYI Duelin, I got a 404 on that link.

Ahh, I see what happened - the link got posted twice right next to each, so it's trying to go to the double address.

http://www.k0bg.com/wiring.html

What an excellent article!! Thanks, Duelin!

Edited by Jsdirt

Thanks.  Very familiar with k0bg's website, although I admit it has been a while since i perused it.

Again, thanks for the input and the referral to refresh my brain cells!