Thrush block in way of putting in axle c clamp

Tyler James

Question

I have a 2001 tahoe 4x4 that I'm putting a g80 in. I'm having an issue trying to get the axle c clamps back in. The thrush block is right in my way and it does not seem like it is able to be removed. Any help would be greatly appreciated 

5 answers to this question

Yikes - that doesn't sound good. You had better double check EVERYTHING - axles, mainly - to make sure they're compatible with the carrier you just got. There's different spline counts for 2001 and anything built after 2007, so if it's '07 or newer that's where I'd be focused. Should be able to see the tips of the axles and the C-clip grooves clearly when they're pushed inward fully (also, before you push them inward make sure to remove RUST from around the axle up to the hub, so you don't damage the oil seal - if "Grapevine" means the I-5 corridor in CA coming out of L.A., then you probably won't have to worry too much about this, but I'd still do it out of caution on a 21 year old axle). 

If I remember right, I was able to use a stick magnet (like an old, extending car antenna) to extract and re-install the C-clips on mine. I upgraded to an Ox Locker, so that setup is completely different with the 4 spider gears inside. My G80 shed the tips of its spider gears off into the magnet some time before 97k miles when I discovered the damage.

Edited by Jsdirt

They should be compatible,  i made sure they fit the diff before i put it in, the axles push in far enough to put the c clips in, but the way the thrust block is in there i cannot fit the c clamp in to put it on the axle. I'm not sure if you can take the "governor" side apart to slide that out or what. This is my first time inside a diff 

Ahh, gotcha. That governor should come right out of there. Been a few years since I've been in one, and I don't do many of them, since they can be a PITA. Can't remember how it was held in place, but the shaft and flyweight assembly will come out.

I don't recall having to remove any of that to remove my axles. If you rotate the carrier around 180° from the G80 assembly, you should be able to easily get them out from the opening in the carrier back there - it's unobstructed.

I shot a vid of my Ox Locker install a few years back. Maybe the disassembly part of it will be of some use. Keep in mind this is a GMT-900 series ('07-'13) truck, while yours is a GMT-800, so some things may be different:

So got of work and looked at a little bit more., and I have found that when the guy rebuilt this g80 before I got it he put that thrush block in the wrong way... am I going to have to disassemble the whole carrier to flip that out or what would my best option from here be? 

I don't recall what the dimensions of that block are, if it goes only one way, or not. If it does, only way to fix it is to get in there and tear it apart enough to extract it.  You'd only need to pull the axles, spider gears, and the G80 mechanism, then it should slide out one of the carrier "windows".