Rear Diff Cover Bolts Torque Spec

Searched all over, can't find a definitive spec. Anyone know the bolt torque spec for the rear differential cover bolts? I have the SU7, 9.5 AAM axle. Truck is a 2022 LTD Custom w/ 2.7T

I am wanting to do a differential fluid service today and noticed the rear diff has no drain plug, so I have to remove the cover to drain out the oil.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by fondupot

1 hour ago, fondupot said:

Searched all over, can't find a definitive spec. Anyone know the bolt torque spec for the rear differential cover bolts? I have the GU6, 9.5 AAM axle. Truck is a 2022 LTD Custom w/ 2.7T

I am wanting to do a differential fluid service today and noticed the rear diff has no drain plug, so I have to remove the cover to drain out the oil.

Thanks in advance!

Believe it or not, makes a difference on the manufacturer of the axle.

GM uses both AAM axles GM manufactured axles.  This started with the beginning of the T1XX trucks in 2019.

You will have to scan the QR code in the door or have the dealer run the build on it and look for RPO code SU7 (AAM) or SU8 (GM).

SU7 axles, the cover bolts spec is:

First Pass: 15 lb ft

Final Pass: 20 degrees

SU8 axles, the cover bolts spec is:  30 lb ft

Both require new thread locking compound applied to the bolts.  High strength high temp red.  Gasket is also one time use now unlike 14-18 trucks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, newdude said:

Believe it or not, makes a difference on the manufacturer of the axle.

GM uses both AAM axles GM manufactured axles.  This started with the beginning of the T1XX trucks in 2019.

You will have to scan the QR code in the door or have the dealer run the build on it and look for RPO code SU7 (AAM) or SU8 (GM).

SU7 axles, the cover bolts spec is:

First Pass: 15 lb ft

Final Pass: 20 degrees

SU8 axles, the cover bolts spec is:  30 lb ft

Both require new thread locking compound applied to the bolts.  High strength high temp red.  Gasket is also one time use now unlike 14-18 trucks.  

Thanks I have the RPO sheet my truck has the SU7 rear axle with GU6 3.42 ratio. I mixed up the RPO codes. I ended up buying a service manual so I was able to find the specs and procedure. Thanks for your help!