We've Come A Long Way

diyer2

That car can't weigh 1200 lbs, I bet it was quite fast, in a straight line. Notice the front suspension or rather lack of, steering geometry wasn't even an afterthought. I wonder if this was someone's attempt at a dry lake speedster?

• Like 1

I love simple and it doesn't get simpler. I'd drive that today and love it. I know I would. About 2005 I bought a Royal Enfield Bullet 500. English one lunger from the 50's. drum cable brakes, rudimentary Albion 4 speed and a suspension in name only. I cannot describe the smile the relic put on my face. No such thing as a five-minute gas stop. Thing could draw a crowd. Thankfully it didn't require much gas at 95+ mpg at 60 mph and a five-gallon tank. 😉 

End of the evening I get dinner after checking in to a motel waiting for her to cool down and the next morning adjust the valves, top of the oil, adjust the chain and be off on the next day's adventure. Not a cup holder, Bose system or Apple Play or Nav system in sight. 

I've owned several Triumph Twins of the Meridian Era and an early 60's Norton Ranger and more than a few pre 70's Fords. No AC does not put me off even today. Heck even no heater or radio is a plus. Yea, even in the winter. Road the Triumphs year around. I love open cockpit biplanes and gas powered Matag washing machines and picket machines. Bring it..... 

• Like 1