6.6 6spd towing..some real world data.

First off, I love the 6.6 gas. We tow our race boat (9000lb boat, 2000lb trailer) all over the country with it. Im sure a diesel would tow it better, but ive never felt like it needed a ton more power on a hill or passing a truck. We used to haul it with a 6.0 gas. I cannot describe to you what a major step up this was lol. 

Recently I hauled from upstate NY to south FLA and back. Pretty much 3000 miles. Im a fairly agressive driver. Cruise was never set below 70 and in SC, George and FLA was set at 77. Through a few traffic jams, weather changes and all of it we average 9.8mpg. Pretty good all things considered. 

I have a 10spd 6.6 on order for myself. Once its in ill provide a back to back. That being said, the 6spd is a really great trans for this truck. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2021 6.6 Gasser towing 10,000# travel trailer.  This trip, 2000 miles, getting average 9.6mpg.  No oil use, 40% life yet to go and I haven’t added any oil sence the change.  I’m very happy with this combination. We are traveling from Idaho to Florida.  Tranny running 195 degF every time I look.  

IMG_0362.jpeg

Might want to get the newer 153F transmission thermostat at some point since you tow heavy. I’m putting it in later this year when I do a fluid change at 15k miles on my 2021.  I don’t tow a heavy trailer so I haven’t been in a hurry. 

3 hours ago, Cold North Country said:

Is the GM oem 153 Thermo readily available, and if so where?.  Dealer said will not replace under bulletin unless there is a problem.  Why does GM want the Tranny to run so hot?  Is there a reason?

The new part superseded the 195F thermostat in mid 2021. All that are out there now should be the new ones. They have a code stamped on them. I think it is “70” but I’d have to look again. The new part should be readily available.  There was a long thread on this. 

I suspect the original reason the engineers designed it for 195F was for slightly better fuel efficiency. I’m guessing when they saw the degree to which the system temperature climbs above the set point in a long pulling climb in warm conditions, they decided they should open the cooler flow up at a lower temperature so you start hot climbs 40F cooler.  Since most customers want longevity over 0.01 more mpg, and lower transmission fluid temperatures probably improve longevity, many have changed the thermostat, some with the dealer being willing to interpret the TSB to cover it even with no transmission “malfunction.”  My dealer refused. It’s easy to do yourself.  One person in the prior thread said almost no fluid is lost when changing the thermostat.  I’m going to change mine right before my first fluid change so the fluid level will correct. 

• Like 1

This is what doesn’t make sense…the tranny is cooled with engine jacket water.  Cooling water comes off the engine is at 210.  What comes off the radiator is about 180.  I’m not sure how  you can get the tranny any cooler than the average of (210+180)/2 or 195 which is what mine runs.  A lower set Tstat would be open all the time but would not help cooling at all.  

On 1/12/2024 at 9:01 PM, TT331FB said:

This is what doesn’t make sense…the tranny is cooled with engine jacket water.  Cooling water comes off the engine is at 210.  What comes off the radiator is about 180.  I’m not sure how  you can get the tranny any cooler than the average of (210+180)/2 or 195 which is what mine runs.  A lower set Tstat would be open all the time but would not help cooling at all.  

That is not the case. I have a truck with the lower temp thermostat in it and it stays around 154-160°, my other truck has bypass kit in it and it runs 100-145° depending on weather and driving style. The transmission thermostat is only closed till the trans temp gets to set point and opens, then it's open the whole time. 

On 1/20/2024 at 5:06 PM, TT331FB said:

There must be an auxiliary tranny cooler then. 

If you have one it will be right out front most generally in the center of the A/C condenser. Also the dash water temp gauge is inaccurate. 210 is probably closer to 195 give or take. 

Edited by Homewrecker007