Correct P/N for Updated 6L80 Thermal Bypass Valve

I have a 2017 Tahoe and want to change this out. Looking at the TSB, it lists 86774933 but that part number is unavailable everywhere. Is the part number 85585333?

21 hours ago, Dirk13 said:

I have a 2017 Tahoe and want to change this out. Looking at the TSB, it lists 86774933 but that part number is unavailable everywhere. Is the part number 85585333?

The updated thermostat was backordered when I did mine, this left two options. First being "flipping the pill," second being the after market pill. The pill flip allows the transmission fluid to run through the cooler any time the truck is running, not the best for the cold but thats the option I chose due to it not getting colder then about 20F here in the greatest country in the world, Texas. Since youre in PA Id reccomend the aftermarket pill, both options require taking the snap ring off of the thermostat and swapping / flipping the pill 

On 2/1/2024 at 6:31 PM, PFTX_5.3 said:

The updated thermostat was backordered when I did mine, this left two options. First being "flipping the pill," second being the after market pill. The pill flip allows the transmission fluid to run through the cooler any time the truck is running, not the best for the cold but thats the option I chose due to it not getting colder then about 20F here in the greatest country in the world, Texas. Since youre in PA Id reccomend the aftermarket pill, both options require taking the snap ring off of the thermostat and swapping / flipping the pill 

Thanks, I’m going to avoid just “flipping the pill”. I guess the aftermarket guts are an option. However, I was hoping to just replace the whole thing with the GM part per the TSB. 

Another member here just had the updated thermostat installed on his a dealer confirmed the updated part number as 85585333 just like you found. Also at least at this online place (not recommending this place, just using for confirmation), it confirms the part number in the description. 

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-parts/gm-valve-86774933?c=az0y

• Thanks 1

If you even have minimal mechanical skills, it's an easy DIY job. It is about a 15 minute max job. There will be very minimal fluid loss but I would still put a pan underneath to catch what drips out. And very important!!! Pay attention to the o-rings on each line so you don't lose them. They absolutely need to be on there when you reattach the lines to the new transmission thermostat or you will lose quite a bit of transmission fluid. Don't ask

I've been wanting to do this but the part has been on back order. Mine is a 2014 and I see on several part sites that I need to  replace the lines as well? Any input? Part numbers?

On 2/5/2024 at 12:34 PM, DCazares said:

I've been wanting to do this but the part has been on back order. Mine is a 2014 and I see on several part sites that I need to  replace the lines as well? Any input? Part numbers?

https://www.gatewaypartsonline.com/oem-parts/gm-valve-85585333?origin=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5fetBhC9ARIsAP1UMgHvXcG6VyZamdGSbR5bHfB9QKA7VDSPKFI-vovu7HtL4jbaG3UhluMaAtc1EALw_wcB

This is the updated part for the 6 speed. You only need this part, same part as the factory ones just different internals

• Like 1