2.7 L with 22 k miles and lifter failure

Looking for info to help my older brother. He has a 2022 Silverado 1500 Custom with the 2.7 L engine.

He was driving, parked, and started, got the "reduced power" warning light.

He called for a tow truck and had to taken to the dealer where he bought it.

Mechanic said it has lifter failure and metal in the oil.

Question, The dealer wants to replace lifters and a few other parts but install a new engine.

i always thought that metal particles in the oil always called for a rebuild due to bearing damage.

Am I wrong, or what should my brother tell the shop.

19 minutes ago, hiking_mike said:

Looking for info to help my older brother. He has a 2022 Silverado 1500 Custom with the 2.7 L engine.

He was driving, parked, and started, got the "reduced power" warning light.

He called for a tow truck and had to taken to the dealer where he bought it.

Mechanic said it has lifter failure and metal in the oil.

Question, The dealer wants to replace lifters and a few other parts but install a new engine.

i always thought that metal particles in the oil always called for a rebuild due to bearing damage.

Am I wrong, or what should my brother tell the shop.

They want to replace parts but then they want to install a new engine?  Huh?  

Sorry, pc was slow this morning.

The dealer is wanting to install parts, But NOT willing to install a new motor.,

There WAS metal contamination in the oil, as the mechanic listed this in the notes.

Just trying to determine what others have experienced with dealers when there is metal contamination in the oil with an engine under warranty.

Also , all proper maintenance has been completed at the same dealer where the truck was bought, and currently being serviced.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:39 PM, hiking_mike said:

Sorry, pc was slow this morning.

The dealer is wanting to install parts, But NOT willing to install a new motor.,

There WAS metal contamination in the oil, as the mechanic listed this in the notes.

Just trying to determine what others have experienced with dealers when there is metal contamination in the oil with an engine under warranty.

Also , all proper maintenance has been completed at the same dealer where the truck was bought, and currently being serviced.

I see two options.

1 - Contact GM Customer assistance and start a case.  Explain to them what is going on (dealer says needs x to fix it but there's metal contamination in the oil) and see if they can do anything about it.

2 - Let the dealer fix it, and then either drive it till the warranty is up and see what happens (if something fails or it runs without any issues) or trade it and get something else.  

How much metal was in the oil?  Straight glitter or a tiny smidge?  The 2.7 doesn't use "lifters" like the V8s.  Being dual overhead cam, it has roller followers and hydraulic lash adjusters.  Its likely there was roller follower failure which could have caused camshaft wear READ HERE - Abnormal Engine Tapping Sound – TechLink (gm-techlink.com)

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I think the shop is bsing you.
2.7 turbo is DOHC motor and there is no lifter in that engine.

There might have been some metal in oil but no way it came from lifter failure.

I’d look for some other shop that knows what they are talking about.

I was going off my brother was telling me, as he is in San Deigo. I was just now infomred the dealer repalced 16 rocker arms and what to me sounded like the rocker shaft. Is there what I would call a cam phaser, like ford engines have, the other  part sounded to me like either an exhaust cam phaser, or something with the exhaust cam.

I have worked on a few Dodge Stealth engines, while these are overhead cam engines, there is sort of a lifter. More of a dampener on the Single cam engine. They go upside down and inside the rocker arm. While the dual cam engine also has a larger "lifter"  These engines always have "lifter tic" when they start to fail. 

After some research. I found out the 2.7 does not use the lifter means to disable clyinders like the v-8. Also, the cam shafts have 3 "profiles" and will shift causing the valves to open less.

To better balance power output with fuel economy, the engine also has an innovative Sliding Cam Valve Lift System (SCS) that modifies camshaft timing under changing engine demand. The Sliding Cam Valve Lift System (SCS) has three distinct operating modes. The SCS system enables the ECM to change the camshaft lift profile of the intake and exhaust camshafts while the engine is running. The SCS has four intake camshaft profile actuators and two exhaust camshaft profile actuators that vary the camshaft lift profile sleeve position axially on the camshaft in response to commands from the ECM. Power Profile: High Lift — Full capacity, conventional lift and duration. In this profile, all four cylinders are active and all valves open to their maximum lift for when the full capability of the engine is needed. Economizer Profile: Low Lift — Reduced capacity (3 mm lift) changes the duration of the valve opening and closes the valve early. In this profile, all four cylinders are still active, but all intake valves open to a lower lift height to help save fuel under medium load conditions, such as highway driving. Ultimate Fuel Economy Profile: AFM — Cylinder deactivation, used for increased fuel economy in light load conditions, such as highway cruising. In Active Fuel Management (AFM) mode, cylinders 2 and 3 are deactivated.