Hello,

I have 80k miles on my 2020 6.2L. Lifter dropped on cylinder #2. Oil has been changed every 5k religiously.

I have an extended warranty that will be replacing the cam and all lifters/pushrods.

My question is. if this were your truck would you go with the stock replacement (I believe they are an updated part number) and get a Pulsar to disable DFM?

Or, just do a delete kit and get the ECM tuned?

I'm leaning towards just doing the updated lifters and adding a Pulsar since I am on 35s and would like to get rid of DFM and auto start/stop. I am also aware there's still a chance of lifter failure even with the update.

I just want a reliable truck (this is a daily driver and I take the family on trips out of state with it often), not looking to make a bunch of power or anything of the sort and would like to keep it another 80k+ miles.

6 minutes ago, HapaTrailBoss said:

Hello,

I have 80k miles on my 2020 6.2L. Lifter dropped on cylinder #2. Oil has been changed every 5k religiously.

I have an extended warranty that will be replacing the cam and all lifters/pushrods.

My question is. if this were your truck would you go with the stock replacement (I believe they are an updated part number) and get a Pulsar to disable DFM?

Or, just do a delete kit and get the ECM tuned?

I'm leaning towards just doing the updated lifters and adding a Pulsar since I am on 35s and would like to get rid of DFM and auto start/stop. I am also aware there's still a chance of lifter failure even with the update.

I just want a reliable truck (this is a daily driver and I take the family on trips out of state with it often), not looking to make a bunch of power or anything of the sort and would like to keep it another 80k+ miles.

I wouldn’t mess as long as the warranty is in play. I would ask for an extension of the warranty. They’ll usually do that if you ask. It wouldn’t hurt get them to explain why did this happen? And what kind of life can I expect out of the engine with this repair? 

So the extended warranty is through Geico mechanical breakdown insurance. They've been really easy to work with and the adjuster has told me that they've seen lifter failures enough and that's the repair to go with. I know they just want me to make it past 100k when the warranty expires so if there is another failure, it's on me. 

Once I get close to 100k I'll end up purchasing another warranty through Fidelity (I have a friend who's a finance manager) that'll give me coverage until 148k or 48 months from the time of purchase. All of this is still much more affordable than a new truck.

I used to not be an extended warranty guy, but nothing seems to be built to last anymore.

20 minutes ago, HapaTrailBoss said:

So the extended warranty is through Geico mechanical breakdown insurance. They've been really easy to work with and the adjuster has told me that they've seen lifter failures enough and that's the repair to go with. I know they just want me to make it past 100k when the warranty expires so if there is another failure, it's on me. 

Once I get close to 100k I'll end up purchasing another warranty through Fidelity (I have a friend who's a finance manager) that'll give me coverage until 148k or 48 months from the time of purchase. All of this is still much more affordable than a new truck.

I used to not be an extended warranty guy, but nothing seems to be built to last anymore.

That’s interesting. Someone should start a thread on extended warranty. Usually you  read only the buying dealer is the only decent place to purchase extended warranty. You’re the first I’ve read otherwise. 

15 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

That’s interesting. Someone should start a thread on extended warranty. Usually you  read only the buying dealer is the only decent place to purchase extended warranty. You’re the first I’ve read otherwise. 

Yes, Geico offers an extended warranty for 7 years or 100k miles. It's for cars that are less than 15 months old or 15k miles.

It's paid for itself several times over since it's only a couple of hundred dollars a year on top of my insurance premium. I've had a transfer case replaced by them when I was out of powertrain warranty that GM considered "normal" even though the case was porous and leaking on my driveway. 

https://www.geico.com/auto-insurance/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/

• Like 1