What is the difference 2500 vs. 2500HD

The 2500HD has a gvw of 9200lbs. Close to that of a one-ton rating. HD has bigger frame rails and beefier springs. With the HD you have options of 6.0l with 4L80E tranny or the 8.1l or Dmax with the Allison tranny. The 2500 only comes with 6.0L engine. That is really the only differences.

There are quite a few differences intended for HD use. Some of these have already been mentioned, so assuming an extended cab short box 4x4:

2500HD:

- Much heavier frame

- More engine options (Big block, diesel)

- More trans options (Especially ZF 6spd manual or Allison 5spd auto)

- Full Floating rear axle to handle heavy loads in the box or heavy tows

- Payload 3,554 lbs

- Tow 12,000 lbs hitch, 15,400 on 5th

- Harsher ride empty

2500LD:

- Frame inbetween 1500 and 2500HD

- Can only get the Vortec 6.0 V8 and 4spd 4L80E auto

- Semi Floating rear axle, limits to box load and tow load

- Payload 3,076 lbs

- Tow 10,200 lbs hitch or 5th

- Harsher ride empty than 1500, better empty ride than 2500HD or 3500.

You will notice the single rear wheel 2500HD doesn't gain much for payload over the 2500LD, but the Full Floating rear axle allows much higher 5th tow ratings.

If you're in the habit of hauling the max payload or towing +10,000lbs, a Full Floating axle has MUCH better support. The rear hub assembly actually has full bearing support, sort of like a front hub assembly to carry weight, although you usually have to repack those bearings at regular intervals.

The lighter Semi-Floating axles depend on a pressed-in shaft bearing just to support the axle shaft. Under severe use, you will experience heavy wear on the collar that holds that bearing, with possible bearing/shaft failure.

With my 1500, I think I'm pushing it by towing 7,200-9,000 lbs. That's why I frequently service the rear axle. Next time around: 3500 with Duramax and probably ZF 6 spd. Why monkey around??

Hope this helps.

the 2500LD is the true 3/4 ton where as the HD is very very close to a SRW 1 ton. The LD only comes with the 6.0 and 4L80E or manual if you can find them. GM only makes the CC version now since the middle of Oct. but you might find reg and ext cab models on the dealer lots. I know the LD have a payload of 3K and can tow 8200 lbs ( just a little more than the 1500s) the GCWR is 1000lbs more than the 1500. I got mine for weekend camping and vacation cause this model is better equipped for tow/haul than the 1500 but if your serious into tow/haul the HD is the better choice. The 8.1 gets the same MPG as the 6.0 but has twice the snot.

Two weeks ago I bought a 2004 2500LD Crew Cab...I drove both the HD as well as the LD, and given the amount I will be towing/hauling, the LD was the way to go for me. The ride was fantastic and as my wife stated, it was like riding in a car. So far we've been very impressed with the ride and towability. If I was towing a 28' Bayliner, big camper trailer, fifth wheel or something with alot of weight, the HD would be the better choice (especially with the Duramax) but for me (snowmachines, dirt bikes, small camper trailer, hauling wood) the LD made alot more sense and got the wife's :thumbs:

Thanks for the great feedback. I will be going with a Chevy 2500HD w/4.10 or a GMC Sierra 2500 with 3.73.

I will be moving to a toy box trailer (Wanderer 197TB) that is aprox 5000lbs unloaded. Will haul 3 ATVs, and misc gear aprox 1200 for the ATVs and I guess about 400 in gear plus 400 for water plus X for all the options on the trailer which I presume is about another 1000 or so. Total estimated carry weight for the truck would be 8000 lbs. This would be towed occassionaly when going camping to ride the ATVs maybe 1 a month. More often would tow the 5000 lb trailer plus extras about 7000lbs to NASCAR races, aprox 8 times. But, day to day the truck will be used to just go to work, about 25 miles round trip. Based on the above what would would make sense based on your experience? Thanks for the feedback everyone.

always go with the biggest and the best. I look at it this way, you can always tow less with a big truck, but you cant tow more with a truck that wont handle it. There is not that much of a price difference, so get the 2500HD with the 8.1L or DMAX and you will ALWAYS have enough truck to do whatever comes up. Also, you will never have to play the "IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE" game.

always go with the biggest and the best. I look at it this way, you can always tow less with a big truck, but you cant tow more with a truck that wont handle it. There is not that much of a price difference, so get the 2500HD with the 8.1L or DMAX and you will ALWAYS have enough truck to do whatever comes up. Also, you will never have to play the "IF ONLY I WOULD HAVE" game.

:thumbs:

man, i am very sorry JAYMAN, i am gonna edit that post. I have had a long day of people screaming at me. I thought you were amung those others calling me stupid. I feel like an ass, again, i am sorry. And BADHD, can you edit your quote of me please....i dont want that being a reflection of me, thats not how i usually react.

i usually get around 10 -11mpg, but i have a real bad habbit of pushing the pedal down to far.. :D. I did get a round number of about 12.5mpg over the course of 300+ miles on one trip, but my usual activities are around town. Of course i could get 5mpg and i would still be happy with this RAT.

Archived