Kicker Hideaway 10" Subwoofer vs. GM OEM Kicker Sub Kit

Anyone have an opinion on a sound comparison between these two they want to share? I want something with a separate sub volume control that doesn't take up a lot of room. The new GM Kicker has no volume control so I'm looking for an alternative.

Would the Hideaway fit under a front seat without getting crushed? 

I have a 10" Kicker hideaway sub under my rear seat. I have never heard an OEM GM kicker sub kit, so I can't compare, but for the size of the hideaway sub, it is fairly impressive. It adds enough bass to be enjoyable without being all distorted.

I tied into the factory Bose wiring behind the backseat and mounted the volume control under the dash for easy adjusting, even though most of the time, I don't mess with it.

1 hour ago, pigpen23 said:

I have a 10" Kicker hideaway sub under my rear seat. I have never heard an OEM GM kicker sub kit, so I can't compare, but for the size of the hideaway sub, it is fairly impressive. It adds enough bass to be enjoyable without being all distorted.

I tied into the factory Bose wiring behind the backseat and mounted the volume control under the dash for easy adjusting, even though most of the time, I don't mess with it.

Thanks for the reply. Would it not fit under one of your front seats?

Just spoke to a tech at Kicker. He said they are once again producing the the GM sub kit with a volume control knob, but they no longer have gain switches. He said he just installed the Hideaway under the passenger seat in a friend's truck, who had the GM kit installed. He said his fried liked it so much, he removed the GM kit and kept the hideway.

He said the seat can be put all the way down with no issues. Given that the Hideway has gain and crossover controls, sounds like it's a better unit, so now I am leaning that way. Time to go take measurements!

19 hours ago, MrLeadFoot said:

Thanks for the reply. Would it not fit under one of your front seats?

I wanted it under the rear so it isn't under the driver or passenger seat causing vibrations since those are the two main seats that get used. Plus the wiring was closer to hook up to behind the rear seat. Tried to mount it behind the rear seat (including cutting some foam) and couldn't get it to work how I wanted it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pigpen23 said:

I wanted it under the rear so it isn't under the driver or passenger seat causing vibrations since those are the two main seats that get used. Plus the wiring was closer to hook up to behind the rear seat. Tried to mount it behind the rear seat (including cutting some foam) and couldn't get it to work how I wanted it.

I measured and it doesn't seem like it will fit under the front seats, even though the tech said it would. I have the premium floormats that are molded and thick, and the back mats go part way up under the front seats, which might be the difference. It also looks like it would block what looks like an ac/heater duct under the seat pointing to the back, so I don't know how that would work. Maybe not all truck models are setup like mine, I don't know.

While 1/2 the price with more controls is appealing, there's not much room inside these trucks to add stuff, so I might have to take a closer look at the GM sub now, to see how much space that really takes up. I can't seem to find pics of them installed, that show them from both sides inside the truck.

Edited by MrLeadFoot

Posted (edited)

Can anyone with the gm kit tell me if the height of the front wall of the kicker storage area is any higher than the front wall of the stock storage area? I ask because I have stuff I lay in the storage area that extends up and sits on that front wall, and the seat still clears when down.

Also, is the depth (front to back) the same as the stock depth? 

Lastly, how wide is the storage area (measured going across from sub to wall near edge of seat)? 

Edited by MrLeadFoot

• 1 month later...

I just installed the kicker GM kit with the additional 4 channel amp on my 2019 (non bose). You CAN add a bass knob to it by flipping the dip switch to all on and buying the kicker bass knob. I was going to do the hideaway sub route as well but the GM kit makes it looks like it belongs there and having the storage design was an added benefit. 

5 hours ago, cheapie408 said:

I just installed the kicker GM kit with the additional 4 channel amp on my 2019 (non bose). You CAN add a bass knob to it by flipping the dip switch to all on and buying the kicker bass knob. I was going to do the hideaway sub route as well but the GM kit makes it looks like it belongs there and having the storage design was an added benefit. 

Where did you get this one with the dip switches and bass knob port? 

Depending on your truck you may have to get a different model #. But my kit is like the one in the link below. Unscrew the sub amp from the box, the dip switches are behind a rubber cover on the bottom of the amp. 

Get the kicker bass knob on Amazon. 

https://a.co/d/djzRQvd

https://404parts.com/products/400-watt-subwoofer-kit-by-kicker®?variant=44120691605674&currency=USD&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_medium=ppc&utm_source=google&utm content=shopping_listing&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwwr6wBhBcEiwAfMEQs5pYm1lN1NFXNOG6soOvrlgOpiGpM4BQRBZgdnsFDClF2rolXxF3zBoCQ9wQAvD_BwE

Edited by cheapie408

On 3/1/2024 at 9:26 PM, MrLeadFoot said:

Can anyone with the gm kit tell me if the height of the front wall of the kicker storage area is any higher than the front wall of the stock storage area? I ask because I have stuff I lay in the storage area that extends up and sits on that front wall, and the seat still clears when down.

Also, is the depth (front to back) the same as the stock depth? 

Lastly, how wide is the storage area (measured going across from sub to wall near edge of seat)? 

The sub storage is actually a bit taller than the stock compartment. I just installed mine yesterday and modified the factoray storage bin with a 4-1/2" grind & cutting wheel. Easy to do as they're just plastic with fuzzy stuff adhered to them. The jack bracket holds it in place securely with the 2 factory 10mm studs & nuts.

20240407_084342.jpg

Edited by mtbadbob

2 hours ago, mtbadbob said:

The sub storage is actually a bit taller than the stock compartment. I just installed mine yesterday and modified the factoray storage bin with a 4-1/2" grind & cutting wheel. Easy to do as they're just plastic with fuzzy stuff adhered to them. The jack bracket holds it in place securely with the 2 factory 10mm studs & nuts.

20240407_084342.jpg

Hey, thanks for that. Looks like the sub is dead center. Do you have a pic of the other side, too? 

1 minute ago, cheapie408 said:

The sub itself sits on the hump. Google is your friend

image.thumb.png.cd4b8f63063decf871595eae7ae6cd8b.png

Thanks for that Pic. Looks like the enclosure is not ported at all. Is that yours or from a Google search?