Removing accessories for winter

Well i am taking off my tail light guards to stop them from rusting this winter.  Also took out my reese ball and whatever that thing is called you put in the receiver

:D

If you don't leave your hitch in place during the winter, here is an idea I got from our Jeep club. I have a piece or tubing that slides into the reciever, drilled for a hitch pin (just like if you were building your own hitch). I got a heavy duty clevis ("C" shaped steel, with a steel pin that screws in to close it up into a "D" shape. The diameter of the steel is at least 3/4-1"). With the pin removed, I had to heat it a little with a torch and spread it open a little bit so that the ends that the pin would go through now fit around the tubing. I welded it in place, and now I have a place on the rear to hook up a tow strap. It's great for pulling out those who get stuck in the snow and mud, plus, if you just have to be the one to leave the farthest set of tracks in the fresh snow, your buddies can pull you out backwards.

Just remember, if anybody tries this, the material is not that expensive, so don't skimp, and the welds must be strong, as the pressures on a tow strap can be extreme, and failed parts can make deadly projectiles.

I guess I estimated wrong on the price, we built ours with pieces we already had on hand. It's the type of stuff you accumulate if you go to enough automotive or 4x4 swap meets. I guess I never really thought about buying that stuff new.

I like the Warn unit though, as you can pull the pin and put it through the loop of the tow strap, rather than having it fixed in place.

Todd

Archived