05 silverado steering wheel radio controls

Hi

how many wires are on the connector that you are having problems with. all of the conectors have a locking tab you have to either lift or push down to unplug the connector. if you'r still having a problem let me know how many wires are on the plug and i will try to send you a picture of my old one pointing out where the lock is.

I just finished installing my new steering wheel controls and had it programmed at the local GM dealership. The install took about 2.5 hours. We had some problems routing the new harness, but then we realized that we one plug in the wrong place!! :lol: But after that it was smooth sailing. Taking your time and really looking at it helps a lot. The actual programming took the dealer about 1 hour. Everything works on the DIC, odometer, trip, stereo controls, vehicle settings etc. The only thing I don't have is Instant fuel economy, but I'm not 100% sure if these trucks have that anyhow. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

The upgrade is definitely worth it!!

Greetings,

For those of you that have replaced the clock spring in order to accomodate the "new" steering wheel w/ radio/DIC controls, how do you remove the "two lead" connector on the top of the ignition switch? I jiggled, wiggled and stared at that one connector for nearly 30 minutes attempting to get it off...after not wanting to destroy the original, I put everything back together in order to conduct a little reseearch to see how all of you removed that one connector. All of the other connectors came apart easily. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

blackmajicwoman

I believe the wires you are talking about are for the ignition lock. This is a bit of tricky one. There is a tab on the inside (closest to the middle of the column) that needs to be depressed. Use a very small screwdriver for this. It will pop right out!!

You will have a large 8pin connector left over. This is used if you have quadrasteer. There will also be a bright neon green connector with two wires left over. Not really sure what that is used for. I didn't use and everything worked out great!!

• 2 weeks later...

have a 2005 lt silverado regular cab trying to upgrade to the steering wheel controls just curious if when I replace the clockspring with the column harness will I run into the same problem as the guy with the w/t model will I need a dash wiring also or will the harness plug into everything.

I just finished installing my new steering wheel controls and had it programmed at the local GM dealership. The install took about 2.5 hours. We had some problems routing the new harness, but then we realized that we one plug in the wrong place!! :D But after that it was smooth sailing. Taking your time and really looking at it helps a lot. The actual programming took the dealer about 1 hour. Everything works on the DIC, odometer, trip, stereo controls, vehicle settings etc. The only thing I don't have is Instant fuel economy, but I'm not 100% sure if these trucks have that anyhow. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

The upgrade is definitely worth it!!

have a 2005 lt silverado regular cab trying to upgrade to the steering wheel controls just curious if when I replace the clockspring with the column harness will I run into the same problem as the guy with the w/t model will I need a dash wiring also or will the harness plug into everything.

everything pluged in on mine it just didn't work with the insturment cluster. if your truck is fairly loaded you will probably get away with the clockspring, cluster, steering wheel, and bcm reprogram. :D

• 1 year later...

I talked to a local dealer last week about the programming. I printed out the detailed instructions from this thread. They said they would give it a shot. I installed a new SIR coil and steering wheel this weekend. I dropped my truck off this morning.

The tech was really cool about the whole thing and wanted to make it work. However, Techline said there was no VCI number available for this procedure.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I may try next?

• 4 years later...
  • 6 years later...

It's still possible in 2021 !

Today I visited Earnhardt GMC in Mesa, AZ who successfully obtained the VCI codes needed to add the RPO code UK3 to my 2005 Silverado LS. I now have a fully functioning DIC (aside from instant fuel mileage) and radio controls !!!

Since this mod is kind of dated, I expected prices to be higher than previous posts. So here is what it cost me in 2021:

Clock Spring (I installed) $215.72 from GMpartsonline

Steering Wheel (I installed) $180.00 from eBay

Programming $232.56 Earnhardt GMC

You might ask yourself why do this mod on such an old vehicle. Wellll, I purchased this truck back in 2005. It looked new and had super low miles, but more importantly it was the first vehicle I got to buy after selling my very first car which was given to me by my dad. Around 2010, I got into imports, bought a Honda and gave the truck to my dad. Throughout the years I would go through several cars but still would help him work on the truck here and there whenever something came up (alternator, radiator, brakes, leaf springs, water pump, etc). Fast forward to 2021 and now I'm a father with 2 boys. With COVID leaving few options for family fun, I decided to sell my 2015 Chevy SS sedan and purchase a 2021 Jayco camper and a 2021 GMC AT4 Duramax to haul it with. My dad (the most frugal person I know) liked my new truck so much he did something he had never done - bought a brand new truck. He picked up a 2021 Sierra Denali also with the Duramax. Both great trucks! With his new truck he had no need for Ol’ Red and I happily took her back as a project car. My plans are to drop in a LS3 and pair it with 6L80e which is what came stock in my SS. With a cam and a few bolt ons she will be a rocket ship.

Good luck to anybody who tries this mod. It definitely takes persistence when you're speaking with dealers and explaining what you're trying to do. I was told that what I was trying to do was impossible by a local Chevrolet dealer. After hearing no from most of the metro Phoenix Chevrolet dealers I got the very late idea to give the dealer I just bought my new GMC from a call. Our salesman Kerry put me in touch with his top service guy James who took care of me. It might have been a little pricey, but totally worth it in my opinion.

P.S Like the guys before me, I was left with 2 extra two plugs that my previous clock spring did not have. As noted, the 8-pin plug is for quadrasteer. The other is a 2-pin neon green plug which apparently is for a heated steering wheel. Like the 8-pin plug, simply tape it up and secure it with a zip tie to the side.

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/30/2004 at 12:54 PM, BBSilverado said:

I just successfully installed the Fully functional DIC and Radio controls on my '04 crew cab. I will try to answer all questions which were raised here as briefly as possible, Ask any additional ones you may have.

First, You must get the steering wheel with controls. I believe part numbers were listed above, but bottom line, make sure you get the right color if you are ordering. The black one is called ebony. Prices vary depending on where you get them. I got mine from a salvage yard brand new for $75. Second, You must replace the clockspring with the column harness. If you have a light duty pickup, you will need part number 26101829. This is for a 2 stage air bag. If you have a heavy duty, order part number 26101828. This is for a single stage air bag. If you are unsure, take off your airbag and look to see if it has 1 or 2 pigtails connected to it. 1 is a single stage, 2 is a 2 stage. GM has reduced the number of part numbers available to simplify things. Therefore, you will get a harness equipped with an additional 8 pin connector. This is for the steering wheel speed sensor for quadrasteer. If you do not have quadrasteer, just tape it to the column and don't worry about it.

Be careful when installing the harness, there are about 14 connectors, I spent 2 hours installing the harness and wheel.

Now the part which has been the most confusing. If your truck was not equipped with rpo code (UK3) which is redundant radio controls, your body controller will not recognize or (turn on) the radio controls. In addition the instrument cluster will not recognize or turn on the DIC functionality. Therefore, your dealer will have to call the Techline Support center. This is not the same as TAC. Techline is for software, programming...etc. They need to explain what they are doing and request a 2 VCI numbers. A VCI number is a new calibration code which will allow your controllers to turn on the radio and DIC controls. They need to get a code for the IPC and one for the TBC. They will then request info from the vehicle with their Tech 2 handheld device. They then take the Tech 2 to their PC loaded with TIS2000 and perform a SPS programming function using the VCI numbers. This will load the calibration into the Tech 2. They then take the Tech 2 back to the vehicle and load the new calibration into the vehicle. They will need to go through this process twice, once for the IPC and again for the TBC using the new VCI numbers.

I personally did every part of this on my own truck today (yes, the programming also) and it does work. The Dealers do not get this request often, so probably will not know the process. Therefore, print out this message and they will then understand.

This was a quote from a previous post