Truck will not turn over

I have a 98 5.7 K1500. I replaced the starter, have checked the battery and even jump acrossed the starter, which did make it turn over but not start, but I cannot get the truck to turn over with the ignition switch. Is there any way to test the switch? When I turn it to the on position everything seems to work. When I try to start it nothing works. I have tried to start it with the headlights on and they do not dim. I tested the small wire going to the starter and it is not getting any power no matter what position the key is in. I have checked and rechecked all the fuses and they are good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

I have a 98 5.7 K1500. I replaced the starter, have checked the battery and even jump acrossed the starter, which did make it turn over but not start, but I cannot get the truck to turn over with the ignition switch. Is there any way to test the switch? When I turn it to the on position everything seems to work. When I try to start it nothing works. I have tried to start it with the headlights on and they do not dim. I tested the small wire going to the starter and it is not getting any power no matter what position the key is in. I have checked and rechecked all the fuses and they are good. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

That is the ignition switch or the lack of power to it. The reason it cranks but doesn't start when you jump across the starter is because the ignition switch still is not providing power to the ingnition module or distributer.

Hmm...something tells me this isn't a ignition problem. Stick your head just under the tank and have someone try to start it. I'd be willing to bet your Fuel Pump has "moved on".

I just recently had a very similar problem with my 94' and that was the problem. I'm guessing this because you mentioned you couldn't start it even when bypassing the swtich.

Good luck

Hmm...something tells me this isn't a ignition problem.  Stick your head just under the tank and have someone try to start it.  I'd be willing to bet your Fuel Pump has "moved on". 

I just recently had a very similar problem with my 94' and that was the problem.  I'm guessing this because you mentioned you couldn't start it even when bypassing the swtich.

Good luck

Yeah, ok.

That would make the truck crank but not run.

He says his truck is not even cranking.

Ignition switch is a breeze to change. You can do it without removing the column.

Have you cleaned the terminals? I had a similar problem with my C-1500 and it was dirty terminals. Take them apart and cleam them with baking soda and water, there is a sleeve in one of them that will come out with some persuasion, clean them well and cover them with dielectric grease and reassemble. see if this helps. Make sure you tighten but not over tighten the terminal. Your local autozone should have a new lug and insert for about $4. Good idea to replace them occasionally.

Well, I ordered the iginition switch. It took two days to get but I did get a good deal at $70. I found out it took two special sockets to get to it and they cost almost $20 from the Matco tool truck. Then I realized that I would be messing with wires that may or may not go to the air bag so I went ahead and bought a manual just to be safe. That was another $16. Replaced the ignition switch and it did not fix the problem! At the same time that my ignition quit working my wipers also stopped working. I noticed that two of the wires going to the turn signal switch were pulled almost completely out. I took the turn signal switch off and resoldered the wires back on. Put the turn signal back on and tried them. They still did not work! After tracing wires, checking the wiring diagrams and rechecking the parts that were replaced my buddy decided to recheck the fuses. As I stated in my initial post they all had been checked at least three times each by two different people. Well, I learned that big fuses under the hood do not always blow in the middle of the fuse. Make sure if any of you think you have a blown fuse you also look very close at each side of the fuse because it cost me over $100 to replace a fuse. Sorry for the long post, but I hope that someone who may do a seach on this type of problem will be able to fix it for less than $5.

Archived