TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR WOES

I just had new tires put on the Yukon and I read the owners manual about resetting the tire pressure monitor system. The warning light has been on since the installation.

I followed the procedure and got the horn to beep and warning lamp to flash after turning the lights on and off four times. The problem is, once I start bleeding the air out of the first tire (left front), there is no horn sound indicating that it is working.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there another way to calibrate the sensors?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I just rotated tires a couple weekends ago and did the procedure with no probs. Only other alternative is to take it to the dealer and have them do a diagnostic on the sensors/module and if something is broken, foot the bill to Costco that did your tires.

We have a tool to learn the sensors, but it sounds to me like the sensor is not working. Adding or removing air accomplishes the same thing once you're in learn mode. Have you tried other positions?

You're supposed to start with the left front, but just for the sake of seeing if any of the other sensors work, you could start somewhere else. The system just assumes you're starting with LF and going around the truck, so it wouldn't know if you started at the RF, but of course the positions will be learned incorrectly.

This scenario was guessed at over at the Suburban forum when we first heard of the new "feature". Just another thing to fail.

There are several points of potential failure/problems.

The sensor inside the tire/wheel and most likely since new tires. Or the batteries inside that unit is going bad. That sensor does not like to banged around and new tires has great potential for that and dependent on the tire monkey (I worked 3 jobs while in college and one as tire monkey...mainly to feed my racing needs).

Other is the sensor in the wheel well. Could have gotten wacked by the tire guy or just busted or moved. There is a distance and direction tolerance, as the signal from the in tire/wheel sender is RF.

Then the computer that tallies all four sensors. It could have gone bad.

Always wondered if the bead seating pressure/bang would harm the pressure sensor inside the assembly. If the tire shop used too much pressure to seat the bead, they could have blown the snot out of the thing.

Archived