285/75R/16 vs. 285/70R/17

Can anyone help me with a decision. I am buying a 2500HD silverado with the duramax engine and i want to put on bigger rubber.I am also wanting to go with a COGNITO 2'' to 3'' leveling kit. What size of tires and rims should i go with ? 285/75R/16 or 285/70R/17.

I hope to hear any suggestions.

Plus- should i get the PITMAN/ IDLER arm support kit upgrade to go with the leveling kit.

Jessi

When I bought my wheels and tires, I was dead set on 285/70/R17's. I ended up with 16X8's with 285/75/R16's. The price difference was not even close. The same brand wheels and tires in the 17 inch were about $500 more. Not worth it IMO. The overall tire diameter is the same and you cannot tell the difference between the 17 inch wheel over the 16. They look almost identicle mounted. I know because the guy who sold me the tires and wheels mounted both combinations up and put one of each on the same side of my truck. I looked at it and said there is not $500 difference in appearance. Besides, when you have to replace tires the 17's are alot more expensive. The taller side wall of the 75's should ride a little better also. As for load rating, they are rated for more weight than the factory, Firestone 245/75/R16 10 ply.

When I bought my wheels and tires, I was dead set on 285/70/R17's.  I ended up with 16X8's with 285/75/R16's.  The price difference was not even close.  The same brand wheels and tires in the 17 inch were about $500 more.  Not worth it IMO.  The overall tire diameter is the same and you cannot tell the difference between the 17 inch wheel over the 16.  They look almost identicle mounted.  I know because the guy who sold me the tires and wheels mounted both combinations up and put one of each on the same side of my truck.  I looked at it and said there is not $500 difference in appearance.  Besides, when you have to replace tires the 17's are alot more expensive.  The taller side wall of the 75's should ride a little better also.  As for load rating, they are rated for more weight than the factory, Firestone 245/75/R16 10 ply.

In my opinion, on factory GM 16" and 17" rims (which are 6.5" wide I think) the 285/75/16 looks better mounted. The 75 part of that number gives the tire a taller sidewall which makes the tire look "beefier" on the rim. sstimothy is right in that the tire/rim combos should give you the same overall height, but as far as looks, the 285/75/16 "looks" bigger to me because of the sidewall/rim height ratio. On top of that is the tire availability and cost. You will find many more options on the 16" rim than you do on the 17". If you're thinking of BFG A/T 285/70/r17 good luck.....they are on national backorder.

thanks silverbirch and ss timothy,

i really need the information as i am a quite new at this and i look forward to showing you guys my truck soon (from canada).

i could stilll use some more info on te leveling kit and the pitman/idler support upgrade !

thanks silverbirch and ss timothy,

i really need the information as i am a quite new at this and i look forward to showing you guys my truck soon (from  canada).

i could stilll use some more info on te leveling kit and the pitman/idler support upgrade !

Sorry bud...I don't know anything about the leveling kits but I know a couple of the guys here have them on their trucks.

I took the cheap way out and changed out the torsion keys to level my front end. I'm sure the leveling kit is a better way to go though.

I have the BFG AT 285/70/17's on my 2004 GMC 2500 HD. If I did it over again I would probably go with 16's. I already had the 285/70/17's on my 2002 Cadillac Escalade when I traded it in on my HD so I kept the tires and bought new 17" wheels for my HD. There are a lot more choices of wheels and tires in 16" for a HD.

Personally I think they look really good and I am happy with them, but you will have a lot more options if you go with 16" wheels and tires.

Good luck.

P.S. If anyone is looking for plasma TV's, projectors or home theater equipment my company sells them. Our new website is now operational, although not nearly complete with all of our products as we are adding them daily. We will be adding our vehicle electronics soon. As soon as this is up I will post a discount code for all you guys on this site (JUST FOR YOU GUYS, NOT ALL YOUR FRIENDS :( ).

Anyway check us out

www.janderselectronics.com

Just remember, the site just went operational and is pretty basic right now. Many more products are added every day.

Thanks again Silver crew and 2500 ,

Silver- you have a nice truck there and a nice house in the background.

Looks sunny there- where here it was -20 this morning .

Our company will be soon looking at a website. I will let you all know when it goes up.

I am involved in Aggregates - Rock Crushing and Processing .

I am very happy to be meeting new friends here at this site. I only wish i knew about it earlier.

Thanks,

I always say that bigger is better, so if you can afford the bigger rim, go for it! As for the pitman/idler support kit, not a bad idea at all. Mine just crapped out on me. It's a weird rattle/thud that I thought was a bad shock. The kit from Fabtech is around $250 for the beefy pitman and idler, but then you have to have a puller and a good amount of labor. Apparently the cheap pullers don't work well and you have to spend around $100 for a heavy duty one. Those supports are only $200 and are much easier to put on and you don't have to pull of the factory pitman. I kinda wish I got the support kit a long time ago!

yes, LiftedHD, please post some pics of this 2'' or 3''.

i have checked out the Cognito site and want to upgrade with a leveling kit.The 2-3 inch.

i was also wondering if i need the pitman / idler upgrade from cognito- or is any of this available from GM.

thnks - and you all have nice trucks !

jessi

Archived