lifting the front end

I bought some coil spring spacers for my 96 Extended cab 2wd for the same purpose.  However, I have not been able to install them yet.  I jacked the truck off the ground to relieve the tension on the spring but I was unsuccessful in getting the spacer in the spring.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Wahoo

• 2 months later...

I have a 2001 2wd stepside myself, and agree that it doesn't look right. I hope someone can give us some answers. I see lots of post about 4wd and Z71's but not many 2wder's here. Mine came with 235's. Thinking of getting some 265's or 275's if they will fit. Still lots of good info here.

Pat

• 1 year later...
well your probably gonna need to get a pair of coil or strut compressors(which ever clamps on the outside of the spring) to compress the spring down enough to remove it or to slide the spacer in. you can get those free at auto zone but you have to put a refundable deposit down first. i did a 3" suspension lift on my old jeep xj(cherokee) and had to do the coil swap. not 100% on teh 2wd gm trucks but should be fairly easy expecially if you have access to air tools. 1hr tops i would imagine for the entire process. good luck.

Coil spring spacers are kind of a pain to do on the new trucks.

The springs are under tension even with the suspension unloaded. Use a spring compressor if you must use the spacers. I went with the Fabtech set-up. The 3 inch spindles were very easy to install. The rear used 1.5 inch blocks, also easy. It took about 4.5 hours TOTAL in my half ass garage. Only thing even diffucult was grinding the brake mount for some clearence. Best tool for that is a 4 inch angle grinder. Tools required include the right size metric sockets,torque wrench, jack stands, and a floor jack. Check their sight and you can down load directions. Check my web sight if you want pics of my truck.

I have some spring spacers on my 1997 2wd truck but I think they are different than what everyone here is describing.  Mine are about the size of a large nut.  They have a hex head on them and you just use a VERY LARGE ratchet with a cheater bar on it to POP them into the springs.  I have two installed per side.  Ran me a total of about $15 back in '98.  They have enabled me to run 31x10.50r15's ever since.

I don't know if they make them anymore but it would be worth a try.  They probably aren't the best on your suspension but they work.

Just my two cents.

B.J.

Archived