9.5" rear disk brake conversion?

Howdy to all,

My 93 K2500 Suburban has just hit 205K miles and the nasty brake noise I have noticed in the last week is coming from the rear. I've no complaints about a stock brake system that can last that long, but have been looking for ways to go to rear disks. Yes, I need a parking brake.

First thoughts are that the later pickups use the same axle, leaf springs and disks and should be a bolt-in swap. Experience has taught me that things are never as easy as they seem.

Does anyone have experience with adding rear disks to the 9.5" semi-floating rear? It is 8-lug but it is the lighter-duty rear, it has 4.10s stock.

How about swapping a later-model rear with disks?

Thanks,

R.

Swapping parts would surely be an easy solution, but that's only part of it. The master cylinder might also have to be replaced as drum and disc brakes don't take the same volume to activate. Without some research, I dont' remember whether drum has higher or lower volume requirements, but for the sake of argument, let's just ponder both cases.

1) Drum requires more fluid volume. If you swapped out to disc brakes, then you'd be pushing too much volume into the rear calipers, causing them to lock early and hard, even with the fronts barely activated. Easily corrected with a proportioning valve.

2) Disc requires more fluid volume. The reverse is true then. When you activate the brakes, the rear wont get enough, and might never actually do any braking at all. Must be corrected with a new master cylinder that'll give the right volume to the rear. You would never want to put a proportioning valve on your front brakes - most people say that they're bad enough at full power!

There's probably some company that has a complete kit for the conversion out there. Just takes some looking.

Wow, find a company that makes a kit! I guess if the rest of you have a brake problem you just buy a new truck, or spend $995 on a kit. Well, whatever.

The similarities between the 2000+ trucks and the '90s trucks is so clear that I thought at least somebody may have thought about swapping a later year disk brake rear under an earlier truck. Master cylinder problems? swap that too.

Guess I'll have to look somewhere else.

R.

I had problems with my 97 Z71 1500 and wanted to swap in some rear disk brakes. I wanted to swap in a later model rear end with the disk brakes but couldn't find one cheap enough. I bought used late model backing plates, disks and calipers for $125 off ebay. Seemed easy enough, mounting bracket bolts lined up to the axle mounts, but the mounting brackets needed to be moved inboard a couple of inches to line up the caliper with the disk also needed rubber brake lines to connect to the calipers. My '97 had the factory 16" rims and they wouldn't fit over the calipers. The later model trucks also had 16" rims that fit, so I crawled under one and saw the newer rims have a recess in them to clear the calipers. If you have the stock 93 rims, they won't clear the calipers. My truck got wrecked and I sold it and the parts before I actually did the swap. I wasn't too worried about the master cylinder, but I was thinking of getting an adjustable porportioning valve to help dial in the braking balance front to rear.

Thanks for the information. As far as kits go I have not searched everywhere but where I did go there were kits for 14-bolt full-floating and for 10-bolt. None for 14-bolt semi-floating 9.5" like I have.

I've looked at Stainless Steel Brakes, Master Power, EGR, and Wilwood.

Looks like I keep on looking for that axle!

R.

i'm not sure from your post if you meant to swap in later model brake stuff to your axle or swap in the new axle? Might be an interesting ideal to swap in a later model axle. the 6.0 come standard with 4:10 so shouldn't be hard to find one. the big block comes with either 3:73 or 4:10. Might be harder to find one in 4:10, but they got better ring gears. If you try it, post how it goes.

Archived