truck wrecked while getting my oil changed

i have a question but i have got to tell the story first because its so crazy. i got off work early so i decided to get my oil changed. i was sitting in the lobby and the oil chang boy comes up to my and im ready for the whole air filter questions. but then he just said that there was an acident. the kid was backing out someones suv that was finished and crunched my ext cab door all the way in to my back seat. he then said that they would pay for all the repairs i just need to give them an estsimate. rental truck too. they also had the nerve to ask me to pay for the oil chang and i said hell no. well anyways i got the estimate...$2100. they want to paint all sorts of stuff that i could give a d**n about like the inner rocker pannel and stuff. the only thing thats wrong is the rear door.

heres the question... where can i buy a rear ext cab door skin. just want to have it painted and put it on myself and save the rest of the money for myself.

ohh yeah i just had that side repainted 2 months ago because someone keyed it...talk about bad luck

Gee, I'd think I'd like a body shop to check everything out and make sure its all ok on the inside as well as the frame. If they made such a mistake, then I'd let them pay for it all. If you did get a door and something else was actually wrong, I dont think the money you'd keep would be worth it in the long run.

west chevy,

I don't really have anything to add, but I'm sorry about the ride and what I really can't believe is that they asked you to pay for the oil change!

You did the right thing in refusing, I would have done the same! Good luck with the repair. Oh and get the biggest rental you can!!

well i already had it checked out and its just the rear door so i know theres nothing else wrong...the shop just wants to make more money by painting were the door came in on the jam a little. the paint there has worn off from my feet hitting it coming in and out anyway. in fact i think what they wanted to paint had nothing to do with the wreck. i know i could just get it done but i would like to do it cheaper and get something outa this deal.(like a lift kit) :thumbs: . all i need is a painted rear door. but i am going to give them the highest estimate i can find...suprisingly the chevy dealership isnt the highest so far...its a place we have here called CARSTAR.

Check around at your local wrecking yards and see if they have a complete door in the same color as your turck. You might get lucky and be able to install it and buff it out. Worth a shot.

Just go to the dealer Chev or GMC parts department and order the collision parts you need. For less monies (but shipping might negate the savings), call one of the forum's preferred vendors PartsZoneOnline.com. There's also Sallee Chevrolet that offers fairly good part discounts.

Also Ditto RaySS. You could also "look" around the internet for a yard that would ship a like color door.

Another idea would be to go a different body shop and tell them it was your fault and you're going to pay for it out of pocket instead of taking the insurance hike that would result from the claim. You might get a lot better price on the job that way.

the kid was backing out someones suv that was finished and crunched my ext cab door all the way in to my back seat.  he then said that they would pay for all the repairs i just need to give them an estsimate. 

:uhoh: Make those clowns pay for the damage. Personally I will not take my vehicles to one of those "quick lube" places....heard too many horror stories including yours.

thank you for all the good opinions. took them my highest estimate but the problem is they wont cut me the check they want to make it out for the body shop. not what i wanted to do. i told them to make the check out to me and i'll take care of everything but they refused to. now im in a delima. i have an uncle that owns a small body shop. i may have to have him make up an estimate and give him a few bucks to just give the money to me.

:uhoh: Make those clowns pay for the damage.  Personally I will not take my vehicles to one of those "quick lube" places....heard too many horror stories including yours.

That's why they're called "accidents". We've had 'em in the dealership too. Seen one or two vehicles dropped of the lift, among other things. Obviously, no one does this on purpose.

thank you for all the good opinions.  took them my highest estimate but the problem is they wont cut me the check they want to make it out for the body shop.  not what i wanted to do.  i told them to make the check out to me and i'll take care of everything but they refused to.  now im in a delima.  i have an uncle that owns a small body shop.  i may have to have him make up an estimate and give him a few bucks to just give the money to me.

They are hosing you big time. The truck is yours, the money is for the damage to your truck, you can do whatever you want with it. Tell them to cut you the check or you will contact your states attorney general, see what happens then. As long as that body shop is licensed (not some guy in his barn) they must give you the $$$.

Archived