Leaking Rear Differential

Hey Guys,

Is it normal to have some oil seeping out around the seal on the pumpkin of the differential. Its not enough oil to drip, but is stays wet around there. Do I need to replace the seal and if so what causes this to happen, I only have 32,000 miles on the truck? The diff. is the G80 with 3.73 gears on a 2500 LD 4x4.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Hey Guys,

Is it normal to have some oil seeping out around the seal on the pumpkin of the differential.  Its not enough oil to drip, but is stays wet around there.  Do I need to replace the seal and if so what causes this to happen, I only have 32,000 miles on the truck?  The diff. is the G80 with 3.73 gears on a 2500 LD 4x4. 

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Personally, I would not worry about it. You could check all of the bolts too and make sure they are still snug.

Yeah, I did tighten the bolts about 2 weeks ago and they were not snug all the way. I cleaned all the oil off of the diff. but I checked today and new oil has shown up, so I do not know. Maybe seal was bad to begin with. If it does not get anyworse maybe I will leave it alone.

Thanks for the help Snoman.

No, I don't think I have ever placed a jack there, I usually put it closer to the wheel on the axle. Maybe you right, the seal maybe warped just enough to continue leaking. I will check level this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Archived