Allison tranny troubles anyone?

Buddy of mine is having troubles with his Allison transmission. It's a 2001 Duramax regular cab, 4x4 with probably 70k on it. He's pretty hard on the truck...pulling very heavy loads...putting lots of miles on it per year.

And by heavy loads, I'm talking 30,000 pounds! Broke the rear housing on the tranny, then got a rebuilt one...and that one went out soon after.

Anyone else having Allison tranny troubles? My 04 8.1/Allison is running well.

Buddy of mine is having troubles with his Allison transmission.  It's a 2001 Duramax regular cab, 4x4 with probably 70k on it.  He's pretty hard on the truck...pulling very heavy loads...putting lots of miles on it per year. 

And by heavy loads, I'm talking 30,000 pounds!  Broke the rear housing on the tranny, then got a rebuilt one...and that one went out soon after. 

Anyone else having Allison tranny troubles?  My 04 8.1/Allison is running well.

When you pull anything repeatidly beyonds its designed limits. Parts will fail sooner especailly if engine is boosted too. From what I have seen and read that 70 to 100K service life in hard use is about the norm for that tranny behind a diesel with some getting less. The Allison can be beefed up but if he broke the housing once not even beefing the internals is going to help much there because it is exceeding the design limits of the unit. If he pulls that much weight all the time he would do well to re gear the truck to 4.10's or so because that would decrease tranny loading and temps at any given speed while increasing pulling power too and may be just enough to greatly extend its life too. I do not care what you do to engine or tranny, 30k with 3.73's is just too much drive line torque load for that chassis on a regular basis. Even Dodge wisely offers a 4.10 option for serious towing with its basically bullet proof Cummins.

The Allison 1000 in our trucks is designed for up to 26K GCW. Your friend, plain and simple, is asking too much of the transmission. He either needs to beef it up with a good aftermarket kit (and still may have problems), or he needs to get a vehicle with the proper drivetrain to handle 30K towing weights. A medium duty truck comes to mind.

Also, in response to snoman's suggestion on rear gearing, the 3500 series GM trucks can now be optioned with 4.10 rear gears with the DMax/Allison.

The Allison 1000 in our trucks is designed for up to 26K GCW.  Your friend, plain and simple, is asking too much of the transmission.  He either needs to beef it up with a good aftermarket kit (and still may have problems), or he needs to get a vehicle with the proper drivetrain to handle 30K towing weights.  A medium duty truck comes to mind.

Also, in response to snoman's suggestion on rear gearing, the 3500 series GM trucks can now be optioned with 4.10 rear gears with the DMax/Allison.

Good because they were breifly offer with a 4.10 option when it was first offered before it was withdrawn and I am glad to see it is back again.

I just picked up an 04 2500HD w/ the 8.1L, Ally and it has 4:10 gears. I haven't towed anything yet but will be hooking up to the 5th wheel for the season opener at the end of the month. I can't wait! That darn camper will move now or I'll rip the hhitch off!

I just picked up an 04 2500HD w/ the 8.1L, Ally and it has 4:10 gears. I haven't towed anything yet but will be hooking up to the 5th wheel for the season opener at the end of the month. I can't wait! That darn camper will move now or I'll rip the hhitch off!

I think it should make a fine tow vehical with 4.10's and pull OD better even with a load.

Archived