2004 GMC 2500HD FENDER HEIGHTS

OK guys - need some info. I've got a 2004 GMC 2500HD EXT CAB 2WD that I bought used. It already has 285/17-16 tires on the factory wheels and has the following fender heights:

front 38.25

rear 40.75

Both sides are almost perfectly even side to side.

Now, I want to simply bring up (level) the front while mataining the ride it has now, which is actually really smooth for this type of truck. I compare that to my dad's 2002 Chevy 2500HD EXT CAB Duramax. Anyway, with the fender heights like they are, when the larger tires where installed, the front was probably cranked up at that time??? How would I know this?

I have cranked it up an additional 3 turns and was able to get 1 inch. There's plenty more to go on the passanger side, but the driver side is already within the channel. The added 1 inch would be fine if I'm sure that it's not maxed out. The ride wasn't that bad with the 3 turns either. I've lowered since until I have more info. I'm thinking of cranking it up, adding Pro Comp ES9000 extended length shocks up front and regular ES9000 out back and an alingment. What does the masses think about that as far as problems down the road? I know that ride quality only I can judge, but being new to GMC ( former FORD man) I don't want to spend a lot in a lift when the truck is my cadallic & daily driver & will probably never see off road duty. Largest thing to tow will be a 33hp tractor and 21ft Boston Whaler.

Other option I was considering, was the FABTECH 3" lift spindles. Looks like a fairly straight forward install, but around $500. My wife & I have a child on the way :thumbs: , so that's the reason for the "CRANK & SHOCKS" approach.

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Do a search on "ford keys" or "torsion bars", there are about ten threads on this subject, and as for your other post try "intermediate steering shaft" that will be your answer there for sure. There is also a great PM on the light duty site for lubing the shaft for a temporary fix. There is now un updated version of it, and your 04 should already have it.

Thanks!

That's a good looking truck you've got.  What have you done to the front end of your rig?

I cranked the torsion bars up 1-1/2". I still have the factory shocks on so I did not dare go any higher. I went 2" on my previous truck and overextended the shocks. I think Rancho now makes a shock that is 2" longer. Up until now the shortest I could find was 3". My wheels are 16X8, and the tires are 285/75's so I had to do some trimming on the lower valance. Not much though.

"My wife & I have a child on the way :thumbs:"

Congrats man! Good times ahead.

I have 255/85s (33") & just cranked the bars (careful to not overdo it) & added bilstein standard length shocks. Works just fine. Only had to trim the lower valance a little bit.

Thanks Guys!

Yeah, the wife and I are looking forward to it. First one!!! :D

sstimothy, What are the heights from the ground to the center of each fender front and rear on your rig? Since it's about the look I was wanting, that would give me a guide to go by.

Thanks again!!

Probably want to go with the green GM keys instead of the Fords on your 2500 HD. The "green" keys are originally intended for 1500 trucks but are made of the same metal and have about 20* more downward indexing. You'll probably get around 2-3" of front lift out of them.

The Ford keys are what 1500's use to bring the front up. Out of those you'd probably get about 4-5" of lift out of the front and that's going to put a big time strain on your front end components and CV's. I'd suggest sticking with the greens and make sure you get the front end aligned when you've finished.

Other option I was considering, was the FABTECH 3" lift spindles.  Looks like a fairly straight forward install, but around $500.  My wife & I have a child on the way :D , so that's the reason for the "CRANK & SHOCKS" approach.

Thats exactly what I opted for. I found a set of slightly used fabtech spindles on ebay for about $150 shipped and threw them on.

IM000579.jpg

IM000604.jpg

It brought the overall hieght of my truck 1" taller in the front when compared to the back.

I also have a thread on my Green Key installation here it is...

Green Key Install thread

grnkey%20010.jpg

This is the pic from right after I finished installing them, plus I now have a 3" body lift and 35" tires

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbs:

Thanks guys for the replys thus far, .........but come on. There's got to be more owners out there that can give me some fender heights, front and rear, along with how they accomplished the leveling. Help a brother out!! :driving:

:thumbs:

Thanks guys for the replys thus far, .........but come on.  There's got to be more owners out there that can give me some fender heights, front and rear, along with how they accomplished the leveling.  Help a brother out!!  :driving:

I will make myself a reminder to do it tonight. Take into consideration that I am running 285's so I will try to measure from the center of the hub too to give you a relative figure just in case you a running a different size of tire.

I just read your original post and I guess you are running the same size tires as I am. Like I said, I cranked the bars up one-and-a-half inches. Fender heights are as follows:

front (from ground to top dead center of fender) 41"

rear (same) 41"

The ride quality is still good in the front and the rear is still all stock. Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

Other option I was considering, was the FABTECH 3" lift spindles.  Looks like a fairly straight forward install, but around $500.  My wife & I have a child on the way :dupe: , so that's the reason for the "CRANK & SHOCKS" approach.

Thats exactly what I opted for. I found a set of slightly used fabtech spindles on ebay for about $150 shipped and threw them on.

IM000579.jpg

IM000604.jpg

It brought the overall hieght of my truck 1" taller in the front when compared to the back.

I just also purchased some used spindles. Could you give me a small brake down of how you installed them.

Archived