Green Key Install

O.K. guys & gals, I've got my "green keys" in hand and have read every post related to the install.

One question for those that have done this themselves with a 7 ton puller:

Did you have any time during the install where the puller made you nervous?

I really want to get this done w/o paying $65-$85 for a tool I'll use once.

Thanks in advance for your comments :chevy:

AJ

here is a link to my green key installation thread. The puller was pretty scary to use. I had both sides litterally snap back when I was tightening them. It created a spark and a loud bang when it released the load. I agree with the installation page when they say keep body parts away from the puller while there is a load on there because it is very possible to have it take a limb off or inflict some serious damage if it were to hit you. I hope I will not have to do that again....

grnkey%20005.jpg

The Preloader makes it nice because it goes around the frame and has a "nipple" that goes into a hole in the top of the frame for a more secure bite while loading/unloading. Basically the only two ways you can run into trouble is if you don't put the loader where it's supposed to be or if it happens to break.

Thanks guys!

I took another look at it last night. Held the puller up to the OEM Key and I think I'll go ahead with the puller. I'm going to use a large vise clamp to hold the arms of the puller to the cross member. Oh, and keep all extremities out of the line of fire should something let loose.

I'll try and get some before and after shots posted when I'm done.

Again, thanks for the input! :chevy:

AJ

O.K. guys & gals, I've got my "green keys" in hand and have read every post related to the install.

Thanks in advance for your comments  :thumbs:

AJ

Yea, when the cross member started to bend! I was not sure if the puller was going to slip. But all went well! (Other then a small dent where is started to bend.)

Thanks in advance for your comments  :thumbs:

AJ

Yea, when the cross member started to bend! I was not sure if the puller was going to slip. But all went well! (Other then a small dent where is started to bend.)

Mine bent too on both sides, after it bent the puller snapped off and released the load which makes a loud bang and a spark when the puller hits the chassis. scared the crap out of me....twice.

Lets see here...$70 and a easy, safe installation

OR

NO FACE!

Use the proper tool before you get hurt!

I completely agree with 03GMC2500HD. You can't afford to get hurt.

DEWFPO

Archived