'93 S-15 Jimmy Headlamp problem

The Pivot & (Pulse) Switch ASM no long clicks when you pull it towards you to turn on the brights and both headlights will not work. I spoke to a couple of folks at local garages and also have been going through my service manual. I have gotten a much better picture of the physical layout of system. After taking off the panels underneath my steering column, I was able to reach the Dimmer Switch Actuator Rod at the break in the cover to the steering column and turn my lights on by moving it. I am not sure if the brights are on or not, but it doesn't look like it. Then when I pull on the turn signal like I would to turn on the brights, the lights go out. I'm thinking that the connection between the Dimmer Switch Rod and the Pivot Switch ASM is broken - like a broken or missing clip. I'm not sure from the diagrams in my manual how the rod connects to the PIvot Switch.

What could be the problem: loose or disconnected Dimmer Switch Rod; bad Dimmer Switch ASM; or something else. The Dimmer Switch looks like a real bummer to get to, and I have yet to figure out how to get it out. Any help is welcome. :chevy: Looks like taking the steering column apart will not be much fun either!

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the Forum :thumbs:

This may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure that the headlights are GOOD? I would check for power at the headlight sockets first before tearing the column/dash apart.....just a thought

But if it is the switch and or the pivot and rod assembly...I would suggest that you get a repair manual and reveiw it before attempting to dis-assemble the steering column to check the linkage...if you have to get that far after you check the switch.

You should be able to gain easier access to the switch by removing the 2 nuts that hold the column to the dash, and lowering the column. This will give you a little more room to work......good luck

'93 is a ways back, but if I recall correctly, to get the dimmer switch off, you have to first remove the ignition switch. Or maybe it was the dimmer switch that had to be removed to get the ignition switch off but I seem to recall it being the other way around. :ughdance:

If you go directly to the dimmer switch and operate the plunger with your finger, does it operate smoothly and give a crisp click each time you press it? If so, the problem is probably further up the column, but the switch is the more likely problem.

If you feel a springy feel to the t-signal lever when you try to operate the dimmer, it's unlikely anything up in the column is broken. It's hard to describe how it all works up there near the lever, but if you saw it, you'd see that it either pushes the rod to operate the switch or it doesn't. The odds that it sorta works up in that area is very slim.

Archived