Oil Filter Questions

I was having a problem with loosing my oil pressure after a few seconds of running above 3k, now, I had a fram filter on there, (becasue I need to use it cuz I put a hole in my napa filter offroading).

Also, I had to put a new pickup tube on my oil pump cuz the old one fell off, but that was what I though was causing me to loose oil pressure, so ignore this sentance.....

Anyway, so I fill it with oil and throw on another fram filter cuz I have one in my tool box.

So it does the same thing that I listed above..... so I was like WTF. So I though I would get a NAPA filter (what I normally use), and put it on, throw in another quart to bring it up to fill, and the problem goes away.....

Is it that fram filter that is restrictive so it makes a guy loose oil pressure?

Dang, Frams are crappy filters but I wouldn't think you would get two that would do that in a row. It should not be that much more or less restrictive to flow than a NAPA (Wix) filter out of the box. Sounds like you got something else going on with it, almost sounds like the oil pump is not pulling/pushing oil above a certain rpm-maybe its going bad and cavitating at high rpms, or maybe you have some trash in the pickup, maybe the oil pump drive is coming unseated at higher rpms...you could also have some wacky stuff going on in your bypass up in the block... I would slap a new oil pump/drive/pickup on there if it happens again. It may have just been some trash in the system that will never happen again....good luck with it-hope it works out.

Besides seeing displays of different oil filters opened up, I will NEVER, NEVER use a fram. all they are is cardboard! I know this is a cough cough.. uh, crapsler site, but this guy did some pretty good investigation.. helped me to decide to stay w/ napa golds, ac delco, or mobil 1 filters.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

• 10 months later...

Archived