auto part stores

simple

Do you think there's a difference where you buy auto parts? For example: which would you be more likely to buy from: Napa, autozone, checker, etc...

I use NAPA, I know most of the parts are made by name brand manufactures. Can't say much about Autozone or Checker.

Avoid Pep Boys, even their mechanics around here think the stuff is second rate.

i go to the place that has the most knowledgable people. i hate the stores where you ask about something and they have no clue what you are talking about...

unfortunatley that sometimes changes day to day depending on who is working that day!

I also go to places where they have knowledgeable counter people.

I can walk into my local Napa and tell Fred or Ed what I'm looking for and usually they know the part number without having to punch it in the computer.

I hate it when you go into some place and tell them you need a set of valve cover gaskets for an old small block chevy and they need to know the year, make, model, 2WD or 4WD, Standard or Auto, w/ AC or w/o, Power Steering, engine size (in liters), and a couple dozen other things that don't apply before they can tell you what they have.

Fred or Ed will ask me if I want the cheap ones or the good ones, that's all.

I can walk into my local Napa and tell Fred or Ed what I'm looking for and usually they know the part number without having to punch it in the computer.

I hate it when you go into some place and tell them you need a set of valve cover gaskets for an old small block chevy and they need to know the year, make, model, 2WD or 4WD, Standard or Auto, w/ AC or w/o, Power Steering, engine size (in liters), and a couple dozen other things that don't apply before they can tell you what they have.

My sentiments exactly. And heaven forbid it's a custom job. I once stopped by Orieleys and asked for a trans mount. Now the project i was working on was a 72 short wide with a 350 and 700r4. I asked for a mount for a camero.(didn't want to confuse the poor boy) They didn't have it. hmmm how bout a 89chevy truck got one for that? Now he's curious and ask's me what I'm doing. i tell him and say I just need a mount. Now he's telling me he can't sell me the truck mount cause it will not work on my truck. I then calmly explained it to him in short words. Sell me the freakin mount.I don't even care for a reciept If your to stupid to know what will and will not work do not expect me to explain it to you. He then started trying to tell me again that combination will not work. I stopped him and asked if I needed to spend my money somewhere else and take the time to call his boss and tell him why they missed a sale. He sold me the mount and I left the reciept. The mount is still good and now resides in my v8 sblazer.

My sentiments exactly. And heaven forbid it's a custom job. I once stopped by Orieleys and asked for a trans mount. Now the project i was working on was a 72 short wide with a 350 and 700r4. I asked for a mount for a camero.(didn't want to confuse the poor boy) They didn't have it. hmmm how bout a 89chevy truck got one for that? Now he's curious and ask's me what I'm doing. i tell him and say I just need a mount. Now he's telling me he can't sell me the truck mount cause it will not work on my truck. I then calmly explained it to him in short words. Sell me the freakin mount.I don't even care for a reciept If your to stupid to know what will and will not work do not expect me to explain it to you. He then started trying to tell me again that combination will not work. I stopped him and asked if I needed to spend my money somewhere else and take the time to call his boss and tell him why they missed a sale. He sold me the mount and I left the reciept. The mount is still good and now resides in my v8 sblazer.

did this happen to be at BA, or 91st store?

I had the guys at 91st tell me a rotor COULD NOT be turned, I took it to Bixby and they turned it no problems. the said rotor had been on for a few months, and was for my 87 bimmer.....although now it's warped and needs to be repalced(later found out that for some reason turned rotors warp fast on BMW's)

But if you go into my local NAPA and say the word BMW, the draw a totally blank stare, they will tell you they don't know anything about it. Domestic stuff tough, they know very well.

Archived