How do I remove my Dash? (05 Sierra)

I hardwired my radar detector (V1) over the weekend and I'd to mount the remote display somewhere. I need to pull off my dash to do so and I thought I'd check here for "how-to". I'm still having trouble with the forum's search function and apologize if this is dupalicious.

Also, where can I view (online or otherwise) or buy a service manual for my 05 Sierra? MyGMLink.com doesn't seem to offer this, but it may be that I haven't been able to register my VIN yet since I just bought this truck. I saw that GM sells some 3,000 page manual for $135, but I think this contains a little more information than I'm looking for.

Thanks. :fume:

If you put the parking brake on, and tilt your steering wheel all the way down, then put the shift lever down to 1st gear (assuming its an automatic trans), you can carefully pull the whole bezel out to where you can run the wire in it. The bezel is only held in by a bunch of little clips. You can apply a little pressure when pulling it out, just don't get too carried away. Then when your finished, just push it back in and it should snap right in. Hope this helps. As far as the Helm's manual its going to cost bout 150 bucks and is probably what the other guy posting is refering to. I noticed Haynes and Chilton seem to be slow on catching up on the newer models. (Yes, I know they aren't that great for the gear heads, but for people like me who don't know much, they work pretty well and cost a lot less.) Good luck.

If you put the parking brake on, and tilt your steering wheel all the way down, then put the shift lever down to 1st gear (assuming its an automatic trans), you can carefully pull the whole bezel out to where you can run the wire in it. The bezel is only held in by a bunch of little clips. You can apply a little pressure when pulling it out, just don't get too carried away. Then when your finished, just push it back in and it should snap right in. Hope this helps. As far as the Helm's manual its going to cost bout 150 bucks and is probably what the other guy posting is refering to. I noticed Haynes and Chilton seem to be slow on catching up on the newer models. (Yes, I know they aren't that great for the gear heads, but for people like me who don't know much, they work pretty well and cost a lot less.) Good luck.

Thanks firefighteremt! I was hoping it was something easy like this, but I didn't want to mess around with it too much and break something. I'll try it when I get home! :cheers::fume:

On my 01 you just use your fingernails to get under the trim around the IP then pull - it makes a scary snapping/cracking noise but the trim comes right off and goes right back on ... I've done this many times with no problems whatsoever. That's what I did to run my V1 remote's wire to the steering column - I then mounted the remote with velcro right on top of the column.

Archived