whining diff and abs problem

i'm looking at buying a 98 k1500 z71 and everything seems good except for 2 problems. first, the rear end is really nosiy. No clunking or anything, but it does wine real loud. Is that fixable or does the whole rear end need to be redone? 2, when almost at a complete stop on dry pavement, the abs will come on for just a quick second. It doesn't bother me but is that a serious sign that somthing might be wrong with one of the abs wheel sensors?

The ABS problem may be a bad sensor, but I would bet one or both of the front wheel bearings are shot. A new NAPA bearing/hub assembly comes with a new sensor for about $230. Not sure if a new OEM bearing/hub assembly includes the ABS sensor, but the OEM sensor alone can be anywhere from $80-$150 depending on where you buy it.

I don't know much about differentials so I can't help you there.

:fume:

Could just be the bearings needing to be replaced, would run a few hundred, but it could also be the gears going bad on you, which would run you anywhere from $500-$1000+. Do not buy unless you can get a mechanic to look at it first. At least, I wouldn't.

i'm looking at buying a 98 k1500 z71 and everything seems good except for 2 problems.  first, the rear end is really nosiy.  No clunking or anything, but it does wine real loud.  Is that fixable or does the whole rear end need to be redone?  2, when almost at a complete stop on dry pavement, the abs will come on for just a quick second.  It doesn't bother me but is that a serious sign that somthing might be wrong with one of the abs wheel sensors?

There is a bulletin about your ABS problem. Basically, the fix is to remove

the wheel speed sensors and clean the mounting surfaces on the wheel

bearings where the sensor is located. Any amount of rust/corrosion can

"heave" the sensor away from the reluctor and cause the problem that

you are experiencing.

As far as the diff howl, in all likelyhood...you will need a new gear

set and new bearings. Count on a lot of money for this repair....and

factor that into your buying price. Probably around 1500-1700 dollars

if you go with GM parts.

Ian

Archived