how will this exhaust set up work out??

howdy,

i have aon 03' 6.0l, 2500ld, and the stock pipe is 2 1/2 inches throught, so here's my plan:

i just ordered a magnaflow muffler with dual 3" in and single 3.5" out, and ordered a 12" 4.5" diameter tip, so in theory i will be going from 2.5" pipe before the muffler and end up at 4.5 at the rear exit!!!

My question is this i wonder if i have to be concerned with low end torque loss or back pressure????

heres the setup......

engine-----2.5"--------muffler------3.5"-------tip-4.5"

• 3 weeks later...
howdy,

i have aon 03' 6.0l, 2500ld, and the stock pipe is 2 1/2 inches throught, so here's my plan:

i just ordered a magnaflow muffler with dual 3" in and single 3.5" out, and ordered a 12" 4.5" diameter tip, so in theory i will be going from 2.5" pipe before the muffler and end up at 4.5 at the rear exit!!!

My question is this i wonder if i have to be concerned with low end torque loss or back pressure????

heres the setup......

Well, I hope this isn't too late. Are you sure about those pipe measurements? I have a 2002 2500 Suburban with a 6.0 and the pipe diameter on my truck from the exhaust manifolds to the muffler(DI/DO) is 3" and a 3.5" Y pipe from the rear of the muffler to a single pipe to the rear. If you have already done the change have you noticed any change in horsepower and noise as well as MPG? The tip won't make any difference at all, however if your stock muffler is a DI/DO and you go to a single outlet on the muffler you should not have any back pressure issues.

howdy,

heres the setup......

i thought the exhast pipe size on a 2500LD was 2- 3/4 "?

howdy,

heres the setup......

i thought the exhast pipe size on a 2500LD was 2- 3/4 "?

I am speaking of the 2500's with the 6.0 and an 8600GVW for my exhaust size. My Burban has an 8600GVW and I am pretty sure trucks with that GVW and the 6.0 have the DI/DO muffler 3" in/3.5" out, however with GM you never know. :cheers:

Your stock exhaust should be a 2 3/4". You aren't looking to have backpressure, but the goal is to have zero backpressure. Going with too big of a pipe will slow the velocity down too much and create a negative backpressure. If you don't have much in the line of mods I wouldn't go any bigger than a 3" muffler. The tip size isn't going to matter as much, but I'd recomend going with a 3" muffler and a 3" or 3 1/2" tip.

Archived