Cat-back exhaust system choice?

So I want to make the exhaust louder on my pickup, but I don't want to have it ringing in my ears when I'm going 60 MPH down the highway. I can either put on a magnaflow muffler, or I can get a cat-back system for way more money.

I was looking at cat-back systems on ebay, and magnaflow ones for my pickup are like $550, while Gibson systems for my pickup are like $300. Anybody have experiance with Gibson exhaust? How about other makers of cat-back exhaust systems.

It just seems stupid to spend $550 bucks on a system when I can get $100 muffler, bend some pipe, and get the same affect. Now, $300...that's a way better deal.

So I want to make the exhaust louder on my pickup, but I don't want to have it ringing in my ears when I'm going 60 MPH down the highway.  I can either put on a magnaflow muffler, or I can get a cat-back system for way more money.

I was looking at cat-back systems on ebay, and magnaflow ones for my pickup are like $550, while Gibson systems for my pickup are like $300.  Anybody have experiance with Gibson exhaust?  How about other makers of cat-back exhaust systems.

It just seems stupid to spend $550 bucks on a system when I can get $100 muffler, bend some pipe, and get the same affect.  Now, $300...that's a way better deal.

Take a look at the Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow, Gibson poll i have goign...its on a pretty recent page...If you are looking to spend about $300 look inot a flowmaster Force II system that has the 50 series SUV muffler...That is what i have narrowed my search down too...I started where you are now and now i am about to buy this system from flowmaster. They offer a variety of different mufflers which regulate the amount of sound...I went with a slightly quieter system that will be plenty loud outside the truck,,,but not annoying inside.

Can't say why the Gibson is more expensive. When I bought mine back in 2002 for my YukonXL, it was 600 US. Add in exchange, duty and shipping, cost me close to $1000CDN.

It was easy to install and fit perfectly. Sounds nice too.

However, if I had my time back, would have maybe gone with the Magnaflow since it is much cheaper.

Out of curiousity though, is the magnaflow a stainless steel unit ? The gibson I purchased was stainless steel, which might explain why it was more expensive.

I had a muffler shop look at my exhaust (to see how easy it might have been to convert to dual pipes out the back) and he didn't believe me when I told him it was 4 years old (Canadian winters too).

It just seems stupid to spend $550 bucks on a system when I can get $100 muffler, bend some pipe, and get the same affect.  Now, $300...that's a way better deal.

For a *stainless* Magnaflow cat-back group purchase price ($390 with free shipping), check over at the member store of Z71Tahoe-Suburban.com. My Magnaflow cat-back still passes the "wife" test even after using a cool-air intake and shorty headers. Sounds a lot more like a Vette when I fire it up.

Can't say why the Gibson is more expensive. When I bought mine back in 2002 for my YukonXL, it was 600 US. Add in exchange, duty and shipping, cost me close to $1000CDN.

It was easy to install and fit perfectly. Sounds nice too.

However, if I had my time back, would have maybe gone with the Magnaflow since it is much cheaper.

Out of curiousity though, is the magnaflow a stainless steel unit ? The gibson I purchased was stainless steel, which might explain why it was more expensive.

I had a muffler shop look at my exhaust (to see how easy it might have been to convert to dual pipes out the back) and he didn't believe me when I told him it was 4 years old (Canadian winters too).

The Magnaflow systems are more money than the Gibson ones. As near as I can tell, the Gibson systems come with 'aluminuzed' tubing. Not sure what the tubeing in the Magnaflow is. Stainless would be perfered.

I bought the Magnaflow muffler I wanted (22" muffler), took it to a local exhaust shop and had them do the work. Dual tails out the back with stainless tips, all for under $300.

I went with aluminized pipes and muffler. Why? Because, it should last the life of my truck. I changed exhaust with about 60k on the clock and it should last just over 100k miles without issue. If it rots off with over 160k on the truck and the truck is still in great shape, it deserves another system in my book. If not, I have less than $300 in my set up and it sounds great.

The Magnaflow systems are more money than the Gibson ones.  As near as I can tell, the Gibson systems come with 'aluminuzed' tubing.  Not sure what the tubeing in the Magnaflow is.  Stainless would be perfered.

Not correct...gibson sells both an aluminuzed system and a stainless system. Obviously the stainless is more expensive. That's what I have on my truck. I wanted the stainless due to the amount of salt used on the roads here in Ontario.

Check http://www.gibsonperformance.com/exhaust.asp

So I want to make the exhaust louder on my pickup, but I don't want to have it ringing in my ears when I'm going 60 MPH down the highway.  I can either put on a magnaflow muffler, or I can get a cat-back system for way more money.

I was looking at cat-back systems on ebay, and magnaflow ones for my pickup are like $550, while Gibson systems for my pickup are like $300.  Anybody have experiance with Gibson exhaust?  How about other makers of cat-back exhaust systems.

My Magnaflow is all stainless and sounds really good. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Bought mine from Performance Peddler for $400 delivered which is a pretty good deal.

How about great sound and power for under $200 ? I was looking for something of a middle of the road sound for me. On my 04 5.3 burb I had a wife who didnt want loud and me who did. I went with just a muffler replacment. I did a flomaster 70 series ( I love it) its perfect. you might want a 50 but a good shop just cuts out the old monster muffler and welds in your new one. The stock pipes are already close to 3" anyway and going to big can cost you low end power somtimes.

Just a thought.

My brother works at a Performance shop and the guy he works for (complete car wiz!) only works with flowmaster mufflers. He recomends the 40 series flow master for pickups, sounds awesome. Magna flow sounds a little lowder however and they are around the same quality. Just my two cents.

Archived