Used vs New??

well.. im in a bind here..

im in the market for a truck and im eyeing an 05' sierra crew cab z71 SLT with a 6" lift and rims.. the guy's asking 31k for it with 18k mi..

ive been cruising the dealerships, and i can get a brand new sierra z71 crew cab SLT for just a few grand more (including the rebate).. but then id have to lift it and get rims (roughly a 5 grand job)..

what should i do... if i get a new sierra, the new model is coming out later this year.. and im throwing around the idea of a silverado because it a lot cheaper, but im still not sold on the headlight design..

thoughts?

thanks for your input guys...

well.. im in a bind here..

im in the market for a truck and im eyeing an 05' sierra crew cab z71 SLT with a 6" lift and rims.. the guy's asking 31k for it with 18k mi..

ive been cruising the dealerships, and i can get a brand new sierra z71 crew cab SLT for just a few grand more (including the rebate)..  but then id have to lift it and get rims (roughly a 5 grand job)..

what should i do... if i get a new sierra, the new model is coming out later this year.. and im throwing around the idea of a silverado because it a lot cheaper, but im still not sold on the headlight design..

thoughts?

thanks for your input guys...

My personal thought on this, is that I think its never worth buying brand new.........the depreciation is rediculous the first year or so and you can get a used truck(with almost no milage or very low milage) for thousands cheaper.....IMO...... :shakehead:

What you want is a truck that will last for 3 or 4 years...after that you probably won't be able to afford fuel for it and it'll be worthless because of that. So I'd go "used."

I personally went with a new truck. #1 becuase I ordered exactly what I wanted. I didn't have to pay for options that had no use to me, and it will always be MY TRUCK. Maybe it's just me but I'm looking forward to putting that very first mile on the truck, oh and you can't forget that smell :shakehead: , and I don't have to worry about how the previous owner treated the truck.

I did look at buying used but a decent used truck with low miles, at least where I live are bringing outragous prices and your settling for unwanted options again.

If you can find a used truck that has the exact options you want then I would buy it. Otherwise for the money I would go new.

I also have to agree with the previous posts to, it depends on how long you plan on keeping your truck. If your looking only at a couple of years then go used. If your looking long term then new.

It also depends how you are paying for it, if you pay cash it is not an issue but if the financing on the new truck is around 0% as it has been lately and the used one is going to cost you 6.5% interest the gap might close on the difference in price.

well i just got back from the dealership and a silverado LT3 Z71 Crew Cab is even cheaper than i expected.. invoice is around 29k vs the sierras invoice at 33k..

i know theyre the exact same truck build.. but are the headlight and taillights worth the extra 4k? i really wish i knew what the new sierras are going to look like..

i probably wont keep the truck more than 3 years based on my history with cars.. i guess used is the way to go? but d**n.. if i can get the silverado for 29k+3k in rebates i'll probably make myself live with that headlight design.. who knows.

well i just got back from the dealership and a silverado LT3 Z71 Crew Cab is even cheaper than i expected.. invoice is around 29k vs the sierras invoice at 33k..

i know theyre the exact same truck build.. but are the headlight and taillights worth the extra 4k?  i really wish i knew what the new sierras are going to look like..

i probably wont keep the truck more than 3 years based on my history with cars.. i guess used is the way to go? but d**n.. if i can get the silverado for 29k+3k in rebates i'll probably make myself live with that headlight design..  who knows.

No way. Check again. There is only a few hundred dollar difference between identically equipped Silverado and Sierra trucks. If there was a 4K difference, nobody in their right mind would buy a Sierra. That Sierra you looked at probably had $3.6k worth of additional options. For example, DVD player, sunroof, and 20 inch wheel package will easily raise the price by that much.

I bought my 2000 ext cab silverado 4x4 with 92k miles on it for $11,800. I absolutely love my truck, and am familiar with its maintenance. Unless I win the powerball, I would never buy a new truck again. The last time I bought a new truck was in 1987 and that truck lasted me 209k miles until I sold it this winter...and was still going strong. I'd buy a 2000 or newer truck with a 5.3 and save your cash. Just my opinion...

O.K. Heres my story, Drove by a Cherolet Dealers lot. They had used trucks so I checked them out. I came across a 2005 Silverado 1500HD 3LT 6.0 Quadrasteer Crew Cab It had the Nerf Bars and the Tonno cover and all the bells and whistles. The only thing it was missing was the rear DVD system. The truck had 20,066 miles on it and a price tag of $29,000.00. Now I haggled back and forth and ended up driving out of the dealers lot in that truck for $24,987.00. The sticker from when it was new listed it at $47,979.00. So that is a HUGE reduction for just 20 thousand miles. For what it is worth I would go used all the way!!!!

P.S. the truck is pictured below

Archived