Limited slip vs. locker

Hi guys, my truck is only 2wd, but I thought I might get more help posting this in here, anyways, I found that in the rain my Silverado isn't much better than my old S-10 and so I was wondering should I just install a limited slip or go with a used factory locker unit out of a newer Silverado? My truck is a 04 4.8l ext cab short bed with 3.42's. Thanks.

You can check your RPO codes on the glove box sticker. Look for a (I beleive) a G80, which is the locker(which sounds like you DONT have) or G86 the limited slip. If anything, Id go with a Limited Slip. Lockers can perform alot worse on wet pavement.

It depends what you want. Considering its a 4x2, I very much doubt you plan on doing any serious off-roading with it, so Id say you would be better with a limited-slip.

A locker is a waste unless you plan on using it for some serious off-roading.

IMO the G80 locker is the best way to go for low speed traction (like you would need off road), but the Limited slip is better for all around street traction (just not as good as the locker at low speed).

You can check your RPO codes on the glove box sticker. Look for a (I believe) a G80, which is the locker(which sounds like you DONT have) or G86 the limited slip.  If anything, Id go with a Limited Slip. Lockers can perform alot worse on wet pavement.

I have the G80 and its not a true locker. Its a limited slip. you get one wheel off the ground and it will spin. I have never heard of G86.

The following are the only RPO's I am aware of (I could be wrong):

GK9 Rear Axle: 4.63 Ratio

GTY Axle Wide Track

GT4 Rear Axle: 3.73 Ratio

GT5 Rear Axle: 4.10 Ratio

GU4 Rear Axle: 3.08 Ratio

GU6 Rear Axle: 3.42 Ratio

G80 Rear Axle: Positraction

HC4 Rear Axle: 4.56 Ratio

HC7 Rear Axle: 5.13 Ratio

Chevy does not make a true locker available as a stock option for our trucks.

Steve

OK, I was doing a bit of research and I found the G86 code. Sorry! :tear:

It looks like pre 2003 G80's are limited slip and 2003 and later G80's are being called lockers. G86 started in 2003 (as far as I can tell) as the code for the limited slip.

I still question the fact that GM is calling the 2003 and later G80 a locker! My dad has an 03 with the G80 RPO code and it sure acts like a limited slip.

Steve

Well The G80 that is in production now, is a true locker. It is automatic, and will slip some until it locks in (the difference in rpms is what activates it, and I think it is approx 100 rpm difference). Once it locks in, it is no different than a locker that is activated with a switch.

It is the same thing that is in the colorados (like I just traded). Trust me once it locks in, there is a huge difference between it and a limited slip (for snow traction anyway, I've not used it elsewhere).

You can check your RPO codes on the glove box sticker. Look for a (I beleive) a G80, which is the locker(which sounds like you DONT have) or G86 the limited slip.  If anything, Id go with a Limited Slip. Lockers can perform alot worse on wet pavement.

They called it a locker but it is not one. It is a limited slip and a play on words. GM uses two types of LSD's, the Gov Lock and the Eaton LSD which are both friction clutch based. Some models offer a selectable E locker which is the best of both worlds here. I would never recommand a Detroit sytle locker for street as it cannot power both wheels are different speeds and can effect handling.

I've never seen a limited slip work when you really need it, but they are the cheapest option and do help some. If you don't mind spending a little money, I would go with a selectable locker (E-Locker or ARB Air Locker). I did run a Lockright for a few years and loved it, just had to put up with the chirping tires. I have the G80 now and it is worthless, the bad part is that now that I have it, I have to change my carrier to put an aftermarket locker in.

During lockup, a self-energized clutch system causes a cam plate to ramp against a side gear. This ramping action compresses those disc packs mentioned earlier. The ramping continues until both axles - and therefore both wheels - are spinning at the same speed. This is full lock, and it prevents any further wheel slip. (Note: Axle lockup can only occur at speeds below 20 mph.)

The above quote is from this site.

If it is a limited slip and not a locker, then the Eaton is misrepresenting their product. According to eaton it fully locks up.

During lockup, a self-energized clutch system causes a cam plate to ramp against a side gear. This ramping action compresses those disc packs mentioned earlier. The ramping continues until both axles - and therefore both wheels - are spinning at the same speed. This is full lock, and it prevents any further wheel slip. (Note: Axle lockup can only occur at speeds below 20 mph.)

The above quote is from this site.

If it is a limited slip and not a locker, then the Eaton is misrepresenting their product. According to eaton it fully locks up.

They are mis quoting its function as it is friction based. I know the GovLoc well and it has been around for over 30 years now but it is not a true locker. A true locker has a mechanicly slpline/tooth engagement that cannot slip. When a govloc engages it can bang sometimes as clutch grab but power transfer is clutch limited (the bigger the rear axle the bigger the clutches and the more power transfer possible) Myself I never cared much for the clunky operation of the GovLoc nor it inabilty to lock up past about 20 MPH.

Archived