windshield molding removal....help !!

:cool: heys guys,i recently bought an 06 tahoe and like many of you i added a hood protector and such.and like stated in other posts here, i too have that dreaded wind noise coming from the windshied, i read thru alot of the other posts about fixing it with 2-sided tape and /or silicone sealer,but my question is how does the window trim molding come off? anyone here know for sure? help.thanks

:cool: heys guys,i recently bought an 06 tahoe and like many of you i added a hood protector and such.and like stated in other posts here, i too have that dreaded wind noise coming from the windshied, i read thru alot of the other posts about fixing it with 2-sided tape and /or silicone sealer,but my question is how does the window trim molding come off? anyone here know for sure? help.thanks

Page two of the instructions that come with the GM bug shield has that information.

I am fed up with this myself, although for a different reason. I just found a place that will install clear film on the edge of my truck's hood. I am not putting a bug shield on mine. This is the first truck that I cannot do this with without running into headaches. And GM should shove the bug shield they sell for the '06 trucks up their behind. If they all fit like the one I bought, they will take the paint off the edge of the hood right off in the middle, as the bottom of the shield touches the hood lip. Constant flexing of the shield will rub that paper thin paint right off and the hood will start rusting.

Seriously people, what kind of BS is this? If installation of the genuine

GM accessory shield causes air turbulence and rattling of these windshield mouldings, why did they not secure them properly during assembly of the vehicle, so that we would not have to go through this BS? Are they actually saving $ 0.40 per vehicle by not applying good adhesive tape to these mouldings?

Excellent picture Rammer :cheers:

Thats all you have to do to remove the side mouldings,Just remove the torx screws under the weatherstriping.

I have sold and installed many of the GM hood deflectors (Part#12499393) for the '05 Chevy "HD" and all the '06 Chevy trucks and have never had any problems with any of them contacting or hitting the hood.

thanks for the info,greatly appreciate it.i have an aftermarket bug deflector made by AVS and it does not contact the hood or fenders anywhere at any speed.but like i stated it does create the wind noise at the A pillars and at speeds above 70 it also makes the windshield wipers dance across the windshield or hop when being used as compared to the normal wiper sweep.thanks again !!

Just to clarify a few things: The bug shield that I tried to mount on my truck is the correct GM part number. It fit at first glance and the gap between the hood and the shield was pretty uniform. The interference I am talking about is between the very bottom of the hood lip (closest to grill) and the lowest point (trough) of the shield. If you look closely, you will see that the hood lip in the middle is touching the shield. This may not look like a problem at first, but I bet you that one year later you will not have any paint left on the very edge of that hood lip at the point of contact. The shield cleared the hood lip properly on both sides, except in the middle.

I have mounted similar shields on other trucks and there was always pretty good clearance from the hood at ll points. The shield flexes constantly from wind pressure, and it will rub paint off quickly.

Auto Zone sell an aftermarket bugshield made by Ventshade, part number 21154, for an '06 Silverado. This bug shield is only about half as tall as the regular GM bug shield. It may not be as effective, but it just may eliminate the turbulence and the windshield wiper rattle. The best part is that the cost is only $ 34. Typically, Venshade makes good products and they are US made, including this bug shield. The GM bug shield is made in Australia (go figure).

Auto Zone also sells full height aftermarket shields for these trucks. They are all around $ 45 - a lot cheaper than the GM shield, and possibly a better fit.

Archived