Gears / Lift

So, I just realized I have 3.42 gears installed in my new truck. ARGH! Obviously I wasn't tihnking about lifting my truck before I purchased, but it's too late now.

I am going back and forth on what to do to it. 6" sus lift or 3" body lift? Anyways, I know from reading that a 6" lift will require new gears, I'm assuming 4.10. I'm hoping the 3" body lift with 33" tires will not require new gears.

In any case, back when I had my 4x4 Toyota, the forums were against changing gears due to all the problems that can occur, but I never hear those complaints here. Do ya'll know what the price is to have gears replaced and are there risks to doing the change?

I know its my opinion on which lift to do. I think I probably wonder the most if my truck will fit in a garage or parking garage if I do the 6" lift w/ 35" tires.

Oh well, enough writing for me, I'll let everyone read and inform me of the information I do not know.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Alan

So, I just realized I have 3.42 gears installed in my new truck.  ARGH!  Obviously I wasn't tihnking about lifting my truck before I purchased, but it's too late now.

I am going back and forth on what to do to it.  6" sus lift or 3" body lift?  Anyways, I know from reading that a 6" lift will require new gears, I'm assuming 4.10.  I'm hoping the 3" body lift with 33" tires will not require new gears.

In any case, back when I had my 4x4 Toyota, the forums were against changing gears due to all the problems that can occur, but I never hear those complaints here.  Do ya'll know what the price is to have gears replaced and are there risks to doing the change?

I know its my opinion on which lift to do.  I think I probably wonder the most if my truck will fit in a garage or parking garage if I do the 6" lift w/ 35" tires.

Oh well, enough writing for me, I'll let everyone read and inform me of the information I do not know.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Alan

There is always risk involved in changing the gears, because proper gear lash and contact pattern adjustment requires special tool and special training. Not every tech in a GM dealership or every guy in a street corner shop knows how to do it correctly. If you get the right person to do it, you'll be OK.

Archived