cruise control

Is there any improvement in gas mileage in cruise control or is it a 240 dollar convenience?   I rarely used my cruise control on my 95 chevy.  I figured on a little more driving if i get a new sierra i guess i am still trying to figure out if it's worth it since i rarely use it although gas mileage would be great

Cruise control is probably the main feature as to why so many of us post impressive fuel mileage numbers. Cruise control

reduces fatigue, and lets you focus on outside items such

as the bonehead who just cut in front of you instead of looking at the speedometer. Tilt, power, A/C, stereo, and cruise are the minumum rewuirements for survival today.

Have a great one!

IMO if you live in hilly parts of the country, you can get better mpg's by not using the cruise control.  That way you can get a little run for the hill at the bottom, and then crest the top without the truck downshifting to maintain a certain speed.  This is just my theory, and I haven't proven it yet...

In and of itself, Cruise Control does not save mileage.  If your driving habits cause you to speed up and slow down a lot, cruise should post better numbers.

If your terrain causes changes in throttle position (as Shaners said) cruise will probably not help mileage.

Depends on when and how you use it.  Like Shaners said, on the hilly or mountainous roads you waste gas because of downshifting.  Freeway speeds if posted for example 75 you would probably be best to set at 72 that would compensate for other traffice doing around 75.  If the route you use usually has a lot of traffic during the times you drive and you want to make time, don't use it.  Otherwise for the traffic, find the pace of it and then set 2-3MPH lower so you can maintain a constant speed.  Slowing down and speeding back up even within 10MPH range makes for poor fuel mileage.  The key is maintain for the duration to maximize the average MPG.

My experience is empty cruise helps my MPG , but towing cruise will let the motor lugg and then slam to WOT. While if I foot it , it don't need to WOT. I do have hills and mountains to contend with also. I could live with or without it, but most packages will have it so it is usually there. If you get it and use it rarly, that would be better than not have it and want it. Like sprinkles on your ice cream.

Archived