2003 Silverado Questions

Hi, I'm a new potential buyer in the truck market, and I was considering the '03 Silverado pretty heavily. Few questions though. First, I wouldn't be doing much towing or heavy hauling, I just want to have a light duty bed for utility use. However, I like power (for acceleration, etc.). Also, I absolutely won't buy anything that doesn't have a standard transmission. The other main qualities I'm looking for are 4x4, extended cab, short box, and a decently equipped interior (leather, etc.). And a 5 (or 6-) speed tranny. So.... is this possible? I have heard that the standard tranny will slow the truck down (bad) and that the 4.10 rear ratio will help (why, and how much will it help?). Is this truck possible in the 1500 series? Thanks for any help and other advice you have to offer....

The manual is only offered with the 4.8 and the 4.3 in the 1/2 ton trucks. Most manuals seem to be in base models, so I don't know about getting leather. I doubt the manual will slow the truck down, it usually is faster if you can drive it well. I'd go for the 3.73's unless you tow alot.  :)

Archived