The new HD's have awesome brakes!!!

I needed to get my '32 foot 8000lb (plus) travel trailer home from  where I keep it 95% of the time, so I could haul it for a weekend getaway this coming weekend.  It's much easier to clean it and prep it at home...

Well, new truck and new brake controller...  I installed the brake controller last week but could not tell if it was working until I made the ground connection at the ball.  It didn't work and I thought I'm pulling this thing home (10 miles).

It probably wasn't the smartest thing I'd ever done, but after a few test stops I was very impressed with the HD's brakes!!!  I'm figuring I'm grossing close to 14000lbs. and only truck brakes to stop.  When I pulled into the house I could lay my hand on the front wheel.  It was warm but not HOT!!!

These Hd's have some of the best brakes available!!!

(ps.  I don't recommend anyone do what I did, but given the circumstances and the fact I didn't have time to rewire and check the leads this afternoon, I was none-the-less very impressed, and I drove very conservative in town...)

(Edited by Shaners at 6:06 pm on Aug. 20, 2001)

I'm assuming you're asking if I have a chip the the computer?  The answer is no.  I'm running the stock computer and the 6.0L with stock exhaust and airbox.  Compared to any of my other tow vehicles (one was the Triton 5.4L Ford) this motor is great!!!

I only towed 10 miles today to get the camper back home, but I was very satisfied with the power.  I was never over 1/2 throttle and I never slowed much below 55 mph and that was without taking a run at the hills...  (remember my trailer brakes weren't working!!!)

I trouble shooted the brakes this evening with no luck so I'll be taking it somewhere ASAP because I have a trip planned this weekend.

Shaners,

That's a sweet combo with the Jayco and the HD!  I had a 25ft. 84 Jayco bunkhouse that I just sold.  Ours did not have a front bedroom and that's our next step.  Making up that *@#!@ couch every day was a pain in the azz!  I gotta believe that if your 32 ft weighs in at 8K then you must have a slide out on the other side?  Those really make a difference inside once they are opened up.

I'd like to hear your experience (after the trip) on mileage, handling, etc.  I'm still trying to decide on a new K2500 Suburban or a K2500 CC shorty (getting the 8.1 most likely) to pull just about what you have there.  Seems like you can't get a front bedroom and bunks in anything under about 28ft.  Anyway, just thought I'd comment on the setup.  Have a safe trip and keep it between the lines.

Regards,

BIG BLUE

Just a quick update.  I got the brakes on the trailer working today.  It ended up being a blown 30A Maxi fuse under the hood in stud location #2.  It must have popped when I was feeding the wiring harness under the dash.

I am relieved that the trip is back on...

Big Blue, I have a 14' slide out on this camper with a front queen bedroom and rear bunks.  The slide -out adds about 1500 lbs because of the reinforced dbl frame plus it own added weight.  This trailer has the towing/travel package which puts shocks on the axles and it makes a big difference.

(I'll keep track of mpg's and will update on the hauling capabillity of the 6.0L.  So far with 10 miles of towing I'm impressed.)

So you want to find out how good your brakes actually are?  I've got something you could do to find out.  I did this with a 99 F350 4x4 PSD, but I'm sure the results would be the same with the new HD's.

Go get a fertilizer tank and trailer that is full of fertilizer and usually weights between 9000-10000lbs when fully loaded.  Of course, these trailers have no brakes at all.  Now hook it to your new truck and pull to wherever you are needed at.  This is where the fun starts.  Unhook the tank from the new truck, and slap it on the back of a late 70's or early 80's truck.  You would absolutely not believe the difference in braking capability.  I've done this several times (I'm sure Jpshostr has as well) and I would never go back to using an older pickup for towing needs.

Ive done that many of times Ive had to haul anhydrous tanks from the local coop 5 miles home with a 79 & 89 silverado big difference.  Than I went on wheat harvest a couple of years ago and had to go from western Neb. to central North Dakota with a 1000 bushel grain cart behind a 98 dodge ram diesel.  I dont know how much the grain carts weight was but I know I was hard on the brakes.  BTW nice rig.

Archived