Hydrogen

Does anybody know about converting to Hydrogen or a misture of hydrogen? I was thinking about doing this to my 8.1L after the waranty is up, as I think the dealer wont appreciate it.

maybe convert my pocket bike first, and then get some junker car and convert it for practice before I take on something as expensive as my truck.

Ive heard burning Hydrogen actually cleans the air, and you can make your own fuel at home. i know how to make it, with water and electircity, just not sure how to compress it into a storage tank.

Was wondering about the price, heard you can get a good storage tank for about $700 I think thats the most expensive part.

heard diesel still has the most bang for your buck or it puts out the most power per unit of fuel. Especially if youve got a twin turbo diesel. But this is something I'd like to do to break off dependance on foreing oil mostly, diesel is still from fossil fuels.

Supposedly there are Hydrogen generator's, Hydroxy units, that can be purchased and added to your vehicle. Production Electrolyser

for the smaller size DIY, look under Devices Part 6 (construction) Electrolyser

From some of the basic research i've done, these would probably work best with non-computer controlled engine, Carbs.

On EFI's, it seems to be an elusive beast as the ECM/O2 sensors detected the extremely efficient burn as a severe lean condition with the end result of actually consuming more fuel. This could most likely be solved with a lot of time remapping the ECM. Wester's or Jesse or W4M etc????

I don't think this is stuff is exactly the Stanley Meyers' water powered rail, but probably the similar principles.

Hydrogen is not a DIY stuff, it is extremely explosive and flammable, hydrogen flame is nearly invisible; you can walk in the flame without realizing and burn yourself. Do not play with it… :confused:

For any gas conversions, that are commercially available i.e., natural gas and propane, you need to realize that they do not contain any lubrication additives like the gasoline, hence the conversion reduces the life of the engine.

Heard it burns up 10,000 times faster than gasoline so you dont have to worry about getting a complete burn. And you can add a small amount directly into the cylinders with gasoline. It will burn up the gasoline alot faster, like coating a pile of wood with lighter fluid. I think you can get special spark plugs that you can feed Hydrogen into, gives you another way to get something into the cylinders. Also heard a hydrogen engine needs lots of air, likes to run very lean. The guy that did it to an old car just took the carb off completely caus he didnt need it without gas and it caused a big air restirction. So just a filter with no carb and a manifold injecting the hydrogen into each cylinder, I think through the sparkplugs.

Most likely be able to just fill up with hydrogen at a normal gas station in a little while. Arnold Says he wants 250 new hydrogen fill-up stations going up and down the major Highway in California by 2010. Think we have one here where i live. Not sure how much a fill-up costs though.

OK, did some more research, it may not be 10,000 times faster in burn rate. but it is a whole lot faster. Like comparing black powder to gun powder. Seems like alot of ppl are using a setup that adds a lil Hy in through the air box without doing anything else to their engine. That setup doesnt take much modification at all. They make a Hy generator hooked up to a power source. Which is basically some stainless steel plates in a solution of water and lie or backing soda, helps the current flow through the water easier. Then a tube runing outa the top of that into their air box. Some HHO (2 parts Hy, 1 part Oxy) goes into the intake with the rest of the air and they say it gives them better gas mileage and more horse power.

Oh yeah, they say it only uses about as much energy to power as your headlights.

• 6 months later...

Making a hydrogen on demand system is not that hard from reading various websites. The tricky part is properly programming the computer so that it leans out the Aair to fuel ratio. I never read a website that had a solution for this problem.

It would be nice if you could get some kind of hydrogen sensor that would detect the amount of hydrogen going to the engine and adjust the parameters for that. Similar to what is done with the E85 vehicles.

Does the name Hindenburg mean anything to you guys?

If your talkiong about stright H2ou are right.

However hydrogen on demand systems that use electrolysis produce what is known as HHO which is far less volatile thn straight H2. They also do not store hyrdrogen they just produce it as you go.

It is an interesting technology but it is not readily usable in modern fuel injected cars do to the computers.

• 2 months later...
Supposedly there are Hydrogen generator's, Hydroxy units, that can be purchased and added to your vehicle. Production Electrolyser

for the smaller size DIY, look under Devices Part 6 (construction) Electrolyser

From some of the basic research i've done, these would probably work best with non-computer controlled engine, Carbs.

On EFI's, it seems to be an elusive beast as the ECM/O2 sensors detected the extremely efficient burn as a severe lean condition with the end result of actually consuming more fuel. This could most likely be solved with a lot of time remapping the ECM. Wester's or Jesse or W4M etc????

I don't think this is stuff is exactly the Stanley Meyers' water powered rail, but probably the similar principles.

tuning would be the easiest part. you would simply turn off the closed loop system and run open loop the whole time. this way the o2 sensor would not be looked at and the car wouldnt see a lean condition.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I built a few mock ups of a Hydrox system and then I built my very own one for my old 2000 Durango. the hardest thing by far was learning the electronics for the the ecm/pcm to control "How" the ecm/pcm controls the amount of fuel to be injected. Took some time and some mistakes, but it did pay off!!

It was a 5.9 engine and I usually got around 25 to 28 mpg, believe it or not. It was a smaller system, just enough to make a differance (if it worked).

The "Trick" is to fool the O2 sensors. You HAVE to KNOW how your vehicle works and understand it completly.

Some places make an O2 sensor simulator which just sends one voltage level or you can invest in an adjustable one that you control while you watch an O2 sensor you have installed.

Just do your research, learn, apply, and be safe.

I really want to build a "Good" system now for my (new to me) 2004 Suburban with an 8.1L.

Archived