6.0 6.2 ?

whats the difference in these 2 motors? i noticed the 6.2 is available in denali and escalade. what makes the extra 2/10s of a liter? is there a big HP difference? cubic inches? one thing strange for sure is the way GM RATES HP; the 6.0 in a 2500 hd 3/4 ton is like 310 or 315. but the 6.0 in a vortech max 1500 is what/ around 385? i would guess the 6.2 to be up around 400? wow! thanks just curious Ray

I've owned all three (6.0 3/4-ton, 6.0 Vortec Max and 6.2) and the power difference is noticeable between them all.

Compared to a 6.0, the 6.2 has a bigger cylinder bore (more cubic inches), better flowing cylinder heads, variable valve timing, and is the only way to get the 6L80E transmission.

I've owned all three (6.0 3/4-ton, 6.0 Vortec Max and 6.2) and the power difference is noticeable between them all.

Compared to a 6.0, the 6.2 has a bigger cylinder bore (more cubic inches), better flowing cylinder heads, variable valve timing, and is the only way to get the 6L80E transmission.

The 2007 and newer 6.0L Vortex Max is VVT.

what excactly is VVT? thanks

oh ok i see now; variable valve timing; ok; i fist thought that to be--WT= WORK TRUCK LOL; i need my glasses on. then the 6.2 would be the same engine that is in the PONTIAC GTO, SS TRAILBLAZER? isn;t there a formula to convert liters to cubic inches? that should come to about 380 cubic inches? i remember my first experience with "litre"; my 79 PONTIAC TRANS AM had 6.5 litre on it i think; and it was a 400 cubic in pontiac big block; or 403 cu in. if i remember correctly

VVT is variable valve timing, without getting into all of the technical nitty gritty, is a technology that allows the engine to have both lower end torque AND high end horsepower (by way of breathing control), in the past engines only had one or the other, not both. If memory serves me correctly, the Escalade 6.2 was rated @ 417 lbs of torque and 403 of horses - very similar numbers in both areas....

oh ok i see now; variable valve timing; ok; i fist thought that to be--WT= WORK TRUCK LOL; i need my glasses on. then the 6.2 would be the same engine that is in the PONTIAC GTO, SS TRAILBLAZER? isn;t there a formula to convert liters to cubic inches? that should come to about 380 cubic inches? i remember my first experience with "litre"; my 79 PONTIAC TRANS AM had 6.5 litre on it i think; and it was a 400 cubic in pontiac big block; or 403 cu in. if i remember correctly

If I remember correctly it is approximately 61 cubic inches to a liter, but dont quote me on it, just a very round estimate.

Ja, ja, ja - there's lots of other stuff the same/different... :sleep:

I thought that the L92 (6.2L) and the L76 (6.0L) both used the high flow L92 heads. The 6.2L just had more bore, more compression and more aggressive tuning.

VVT is variable valve timing, without getting into all of the technical nitty gritty, is a technology that allows the engine to have both lower end torque AND high end horsepower (by way of breathing control), in the past engines only had one or the other, not both. If memory serves me correctly, the Escalade 6.2 was rated @ 417 lbs of torque and 403 of horses - very similar numbers in both areas....

I wouldn't say that the similar HP and Torque numbers are completely due to the VVT. The LS2 (400/400), LS3 (~440/430), LS7 (505/475) and LS6 (405/400) all have hp/tq numbers that are very similar but all of those engines lack variable valve timing. The VVT does help with the efficiency though.

High-Flow Cylinder Heads

The Vortec 6.2L is equipped with high-flow cylinder heads based on those developed for the high-performance LS2 and LS6 car V8s. These heads have offset rockers, like those in the LS7. They also have larger valves than other Vortec V8 heads, and increase airflow in and out of the engine for higher horsepower. A special high-lift cam, with 12.7 mm. maximum lift takes full advantage of the improved flow characteristics. In conjunction with unique pistons, the high-flow heads give the Vortec 6.2L a 10.5:1 compression ratio. They are the single biggest contributor to the 6.2Ls increased horsepower compared to other Vortec V8s.

High-Flow Cylinder Heads

The Gen IV Vortec 6.0Ls are fitted with high-flow cylinder heads, based on those developed for the high-performance LS2 and LS6 car V8s. These heads have offset rockers, like those in the LS7. They also have larger valves than other Vortec V8 heads, and increase airflow in and out of the engine for higher horsepower. Yet the Vortec 6.0 heads maintain a compression ratio that allows these engines to operate on regular gas.

More at;

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/produ...ruck/08_L92.doc

and,

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/produ...008/08truck.htm

If I remember correctly it is approximately 61 cubic inches to a liter, but dont quote me on it, just a very round estimate.

Sounds right, google says 1 litre = 61.0237441 cubic inches

Archived