Going From 265 70 R 17 To 285 70 R17 Difference?

I'm curious is their a big difference in the way the truck looks when you change from the 265's to 285's? I feel like my 4 wheel drive truck looks 2 wheel drive. I might do a lift in the future but I'm curious with just changing to the bigger aggressive tires will it give the truck a 4x4 look or is a lift inevitable. I also don't like lifts that involve cranking the t bars I just feel like it messes up the ride quality.

I'm curious is their a big difference in the way the truck looks when you change from the 265's to 285's? I feel like my 4 wheel drive truck looks 2 wheel drive. I might do a lift in the future but I'm curious with just changing to the bigger aggressive tires will it give the truck a 4x4 look or is a lift inevitable. I also don't like lifts that involve cranking the t bars I just feel like it messes up the ride quality.

You will have about an inch more sidewall, as the ""265" has a 31.6" diameter vs. "285" has a 32.7" diameter. The speedometer should be off by 3.5%, according to the "Miata" tire size calculator. It should look a little better! Good luck.

Do not forget that by going to larger tires, you are also effectively reducing your gear ratio by the same amount as your speedometer error. The speedometer will read 3.5% too low and your gears will be 3.5% higher, so you are loosing 3.5% torque at the rear wheels. Want more torque at the rear wheels? Lower gears, or smaller tires.

I recently put on a set of 285/70/17 BFG ATs on my 2004 Z71 (stock otherwise) and I absolutely love them. The stock size was 265/70/17....the 285s "just look right". This is what these trucks should come with from the factory. The 285s fit perfectly with no rubbing at all....no torsion bar cranking or lift kit needed. I have put around 1,000 miles on them so far and the ride is much better also. The speedo is around 3.5% off...confirmed this with my GPS.

I stayed with 265/70 /17 because of it being harder in the tranny by changing the shift points and gearing. I hope to have this truck for 20 years. (My last K1500 I had for 13 years before some one pulled in front of me and totaled it) I think the more aggressive tires make the difference IMO.

Archived