Oil Capacity/'07 5.3l

I've changed my oil twice now on my '07 nbs/5.3l. The owners manual states the oil capacity is 6qt. I took my time filling it then let it run and drain back in to the pan overnight before checking the dipstick. When cold after sitting, 5.45qt's puts the oil level at the top of the cross hatch marks. This is with the oem PF48 filter. I also checked to make sure the dip stick tube is properly seated in the block.

When I took delivery on the truck I checked my oil and it was about 1/2 inch above the cross hatch marks.

Anyone else notice this?

Did your dealer add anything prior to delivery to you? My NBS 07 came with a "250K Warranty" if you used some additive. Pretty sure they added the additive to the truck prior to it being delivered to me. When I did my own change with a stock filter and Mobil-1, it hit the top of the cross hatches exactly.

Did your dealer add anything prior to delivery to you? My NBS 07 came with a "250K Warranty" if you used some additive. Pretty sure they added the additive to the truck prior to it being delivered to me. When I did my own change with a stock filter and Mobil-1, it hit the top of the cross hatches exactly.

250K???? what kind of additive will give you another 150 thousand miles of warranty?? your kidding right?

• 2 weeks later...
I've changed my oil twice now on my '07 nbs/5.3l. The owners manual states the oil capacity is 6qt. I took my time filling it then let it run and drain back in to the pan overnight before checking the dipstick. When cold after sitting, 5.45qt's puts the oil level at the top of the cross hatch marks. This is with the oem PF48 filter. I also checked to make sure the dip stick tube is properly seated in the block.

When I took delivery on the truck I checked my oil and it was about 1/2 inch above the cross hatch marks.

Anyone else notice this?

Im a Tech at a GM dealership here in Corpus and all the ls motors 4.8 to 6.2 take six quarts of oil unless your not replacing the oil filter... every vehicle that i have changed the oil in i put six quarts in it and it gets up right on the top line.....if yours is showing a little above drive it for a week or so and it should go down

Anyone else notice this?

I always use what the manual specifies. With 6 quarts, from the factory and after myself changing the oil, the level on the dipstick is slightly high.

As far as oil additives go, I recall the owner's manual specifically advising against using any additives at all.

It takes 6, but you do need to make sure you are lettign the oil drain long enough time that it stops fast dripping, and I would say definitely make sure it is level or above to make sure oil drains prop=erly. Also, I noticed the oil filters do make a difference as some are a little larger than others. My Mobil 1 filter I am using right now was larger in diameter and length than the K&N one I used previously, so mayby that could be a reason too.

There have been other threads addressing this and you will see some where 6 qts fills it to the mark and others where it is above the mark. On mine, 6 qts puts my level about 1/8" to 1/4" over the full mark. This is on an 02 using the longer filter.

I did find some info not long ago where GM specified 5.8 qts on certain SUVs but only for a couple of years. This was on an official GM literature website. My Owner's Manual states 6 qts as does every other spec you can find.

Archived