Avalanche Radio Isuue

ffejbowl

Question

I have an '03 Avalanche that I got cheap with mulitple problems and have fixed all but one. I'm a tech , but not for GM.

The Amp got wet was draining the battery and killed the radio. I bought a used amp and a radio from Ebay, both with the same part numbers as the original units. The original radio would scan for stations but not find any, and had no sound either to the speakers or RSA.

I installed the "new" radio and amp and much to my delight the chimes and onstar came back immediately. The radio was locked though. I went to friend who is a GM tech and he used his Tech 2 to download the new program to the radio. As soon as it finished the chimes and onstar recording (Lisa) went away. The update is correct for with UQ7,without Y91. The radio has NO volume control and I can't adjust the fade/balance. The Tech2 reads the volume, fade and balance as zero.Treble and bass at max. There are no codes. I have tested for shorts to power and ground on all the speaker lines and found no problems.

I followed PIT3193B There is no sound at the RSA through headphones.Pin B3 is normal at 12v. I checked pin B6 (amp mute) the standard is 0-1 volt amp ON 3-5 volts amp OFF. I am reading 2.5 volts at this pin.

Also the XM receiver and wiring is not there. I don't know if this makes a difference.

I can't understand why the radio would produce audio when locked but not when unlocked. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

0 answers to this question

Were all of the set up procedures done or just the TIS2WEB download. There is (I think) also a radio setup and audio amp setup under special functions that may need to be done.

All the setup procedures under special functions were done. According to PIT3834 the amp is not on serial 2 bus and cannot be seen by tech2. Also the volume bar doesn't even show up when turning the dial. It did change the volume of Onstar when the radio was locked though.

Crazy...I'm going to print off some diagrams and give em a look when I get a chance. I'll get back to you if I get any ideas. Please do repost if you resolve this. Somethings missing (duh if it weren't you wouldn't be here). Just to be clear...no volume from anything after program, no chime, no onstar, no AM,FM OR XM, nuttin?

Crazy...I'm going to print off some diagrams and give em a look when I get a chance. I'll get back to you if I get any ideas. Please do repost if you resolve this. Somethings missing (duh if it weren't you wouldn't be here). Just to be clear...no volume from anything after program, no chime, no onstar, no AM,FM OR XM, nuttin?

Nuttin' atall. Thanks

Archived