Speaker Size

Crutchfield hey? I will have to check that out thanks, the back ones in the door must be just tiny.

Fronts are 6.5 inch but GM uses a funky adapter plate to make them work. Crutchfield sells inexpensive adapters that make the A/M brands work. It's well worth it. Rear speakers in regular cabs were 4x6 inchers. Not sure about excabs. Crewcabs should be the same as reg cabs.

Rear speakers in regular cabs were 4x6 inchers. Not sure about excabs. Crewcabs should be the same as reg cabs.
Rear speakers are 4x6" in the regular and extended cabs, but they are 6-3/4" (like the front) in the crew cabs.

Yeah, I've got polk audio 6 3/4" in the front (they fit a little tight), and polk 4x6's in the back doors. I also have an alpine amp and 2 kicker 10" subs under the back seats. The amp and subs is just up to what your looking for (I got mine for free), butt I would definetly reccomend polk speakers. I have never heard anything as clear as them. Theyre not much without subs because theyre not designed to push bass, but once I added the subs to mine, my sound system puts the bose in my dad's 03 d-max to shame

Theyre not much without subs because theyre not designed to push bass
Actually, a 6" speaker can deliver a healthy amount of midbass if the doors are sealed well and sound dampening is used.

Theyre not much without subs because theyre not designed to push bass
Actually, a 6" speaker can deliver a healthy amount of midbass if the doors are sealed well and sound dampening is used.

I won't argue that fact with you. I'm just too lazy to bother with that. Hooking up a couple subs just seemed easier to me. Plus I like a good solid punch with my country music...

I had Polk speakers in my other truck which I swapped out with Memphis audio speakers with directional tweeters. I also have a dual 12" kicker box on rear seat made by power base. I choose to have the large kicker box (which takes up most of the rear bench seat because I want to feel the base real hard inside the truck. If you are concerned about having a base kicker box taking up space in rear bench seat or rear seat if you have crew cab, then go with enclosures that are designed to be outfitted to your style truck. I persoanlly wouldn't sacrfice sound quality and very powerful base tones for hide away units, but everyone has theoir preferences on sound. The wife sure hates the amount of base inside my truck and complains everytime I turn on the sound system, but my Memphis 2 channel amp that powers the kicker box has a remote base control, so it can be turned down fast and easy. Regarding the speaker size in rear doors, I know they run slightly smaller then ford trucks rear speakers, so I took a power saw and opened up the speaker openings to accomodate the larger door speakers, wasn't gonna depart with my Memphis M Class system after shelling out $$$$. There are also some smalller base boxes you can go with that give out a pretty good punch, persoanlly I don't ever purchase audio equipment such as speakers and amps from name brand electronic stores that are popular known, I get my equipment from those small audio installers that also install alarms, window tiniting ect. sure you pay more usually, but the money is well worth it.

I remember a friend of mine bought an entire system from CC for his vehicle and they had some real crappy speakers and base boxes. They also used some inferior speaker wires and power cables along with the free install. It all comes down to how much you are willing to spend. With me, when I buy a new truck, i'll take my sound system with me and reinstall it into the newer truck.

I persoanlly wouldn't sacrfice sound quality and very powerful base tones for hide away units, but everyone has theoir preferences on sound.
If the box is designed correctly and built well there will be no loss of sound quality or output.

Well i got kids and a car seat in the back, so i need a sub that will fit under the seat. Thinking a 1 really good powerfull 10 or a 12 if it could fit and feed like 600-1000rms to it. Pics would be nice too!!
Here is my single 10" enclosure from Subthump.com: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...si&img=1156

I've demoed those enclosure types that are custom made and tailored for your specific truck, one of them blew out because it couldn't handle the power from my amp "Luckily I wasn't held liable" The other one which was only a 10" couldn't produce the sound that the current dual 12" power base box I have now can. I may be more of a base addict then most people, thats why I am into base. With my base set up now, my mirrors will vibrate and forehead will feel a sonci tingle, and both of my seats feel as if they have built in massagers inside of them, and my head lights would dim if I crank it up enough. After decades of trial an error with many different brands of audio equipment and amps, I've finally found the sound I want and like. Though my Alpine head unit is considered dated at this time and age, it still performs like the day I purchased it. I also have a kenwood parametric EQ intergrated with my sound system which really does a phenominal job at tailoring the sound. Only other base enclosures that come close to earth shattering base are certain bazooka tubes, which I'm not sure they still make. Those tubes came with a hefty price tag though.

Archived