Not A Mistake After All

Been living with my new to me '05 Silverado 1500, reg cab, short, 4wd for about a week now and honestly most of the time I

have been asking myself, 'should I have bought a 6 cyl manual?-why, why did I buy a base work truck', I did because it was $10,000, was a one owner bought and traded at

the dealer I purchased at, and had 28k miles. Very clean, very tight and about what I wanted to pay, but I HAD been

thinking, 'maybe a mistake'-UNTIL I filled up this am after work: just over 18 mpg and all city driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I check the only accurate way, fill to a visual level in the neck.

Now I am very very happy that I bought a six cyl manual.

But what a pain to change the oil, the filter is in a dumb spot and the drain is in the middle of a cross member-so I'll get another

socket extention , a Fumoto nipple valve and instead of cursing under the truck I'll just keep smiling thinking of the incredible gas mileage.

I really wanted the 4.8 and auto. From all that I have read, you aren't supposed

to be able to save any fuel with the six, so maybe the great mileage is the manual?

I clayed and compounded yesterday, today its the Klasse twins-if I can figure out how to post pics I'll do it tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

My great little truck is providing me a constant 23 mpg on the highway and I think this is quite respectable, speed is kept alot closer to 60 than 65.

But the most surprising discovery is that I can keep the truck in 4 high ALOT on slippery roads and the mileage is still a solid 16 mpg city-amazing.

My great little truck is providing me a constant 23 mpg on the highway and I think this is quite respectable, speed is kept alot closer to 60 than 65.

But the most surprising discovery is that I can keep the truck in 4 high ALOT on slippery roads and the mileage is still a solid 16 mpg city-amazing.

Good for you. If the V6 works for you, go with it. Post some pictures when you can. :lol:

Dont get me wrong, I love my V8s, I just hate fueling them.

BuckfeverZ, the six is really pretty peppy (I can hear you laughing all the way up here!) but yes you are right an eight it

ain't. When I need a speed fix I either sneak my wife's Subaru Forester XT (the turbo WRX engine-stupid fast,

0-60 in 5.4 I believe) or I jump on the bike, not in the winter though. We do have an eight cyl though, but-forgive us,

it is a Powerstroke in an rv and that thing really does get up and go plus it gets about 17mpg to boot!!

Merlin5577, I did test drive a used 4.8 and was very happy with the performance, that is a neat engine. Truth be told I would like

to have it and I really wonder what the mileage would be with the manual-at the risk of starting a spirited discussion, I'm told that the 4.8 is one of the best engines GM has ever made.

Archived