Additional Leaf springs

I'm thinking of doing something to level out my truck while towing a gooseneck. I'm not going overweight with anything, but the rear-end sags a few inches when hitched up. I've heard of air-lift, but was also wondering if those add-on leafs are any good. They cost much less, and I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of $ getting this truck more tow friendly as I am debating getting a HD in the hopefully near-future, although I do plan on keeping this truck as well. Anybody have any experience with add-on leafs?

Thanks.

We have tried add-a-leafs on a couple of 4x4's. We came to the conclusion that they do lift the truck about 1-2" easily. We also found that they do tend to sag over about a year, and really didn't improve the load carrying much at all. With the same load as before the add-a-leafs, the truck did sit higher, but it didn't feel any more stable, and seemed just as bouncy. Go with a set of Firestone airbags designed for your truck. It's an easy bolt on and they work great. If not get the HD, you will like it.

what about plain old-fashioned "helper springs" or "overload springs?"  i've never used them, but i remember years ago, my dad would always talk about wanting to put a set on his truck.

no experience personally, but it's something else to look at...

Brax has not a bad idea. The only problem I could see with "overloads" would be if your truck is a 1?2 ton or Light duty 3?4 ton. These trucks have a lot more suspension travel under unloaded normal driving then, say, a 1 ton just because of the softer supension. This may cause the overloads to hit their pads during regular driving causing terrible noise. this doesn't happen so much on a bigger truck because of the heavy rear springs. Now to compensate for this happening, you could mont the overloads farther away from the spring ends, but then you would probably get as much sag as before until the overloads touched. I still say use the airbags. How about loading the trailer differently. I know this won't be all that possible if it's livestock, but if you are hauling something on a flatbed, could you just distribute the weight closer to the back of the trailer?

Archived