10% Ethanol And Blowing Smoke

I just got back from two 500 mile trips to Florida. I used one tank of regular gasoline and got 18.5 mpg on the interstate doing 74 mph

Second trip, I used 10% ethanol mix and got 16.6 mpg doing 74 mph.

Same brand of gas (BP-Amoco)

Now, this is the way I figure it. I had a 10% drop in mileage using the 10% ethanol. So what this boils down to is that we are getting smoke blown up our asses telling us that using ethanol is saving oil....I saved exactly 0 oil, since I would have to pump 10% more gas to go the same distance.

Just more environmentalist BS

I truly believe that if you took into consideration the energy it took to make the ethanol, I would actually use MORE energy with the 10% mix.

C

I just got back from two 500 mile trips to Florida. I used one tank of regular gasoline and got 18.5 mpg on the interstate doing 74 mph

Now, this is the way I figure it. I had a 10% drop in mileage using the 10% ethanol. So what this boils down to is that we are getting smoke blown up our asses telling us that using ethanol is saving oil....I saved exactly 0 oil, since I would have to pump 10% more gas to go the same distance.

I truly believe that if you took into consideration the energy it took to make the ethanol, I would actually use MORE energy with the 10% mix.

C

+1 i cant run the mix my truck hates it it will start showing wicked KR last night i had to drive past 6 different stations before i found one that had all gas and guess what it was cheaper lol

+1 i cant run the mix my truck hates it it will start showing wicked KR last night i had to drive past 6 different stations before i found one that had all gas and guess what it was cheaper lol

Holy lack of punctuation Batman......that was hard to read. :sigh:

:D

Holy lack of punctuation Batman......that was hard to read. :sigh:

:lol:

Makes you wonder about the informational value of the post all together. :D

C

I don't see that much mileage drop going to E85. I think you need to check your numbers again. Even if you added 10% water, you probably wouldn't see a 10% drop in mileage. :D

But if you don't like it, that's fine. Don't use it. :sigh:

I don't see that much mileage drop going to E85. I think you need to check your numbers again. Even if you added 10% water, you probably wouldn't see a 10% drop in mileage. :D

I wish I had a choice. All they sell in my area is the 10% mix of ethanol.

When I am traveling, I ALWAYS get better mileage on NON ETHANOL fuel in the Cadillac.

It varies... but usually around 5% better mileage, but sometimes closer to 10%.

Holy lack of punctuation Batman......that was hard to read. :lol:

Makes you wonder about the informational value of the post all together. :P

wow!!! didnt know this was a essay that was getting graded teacher. Ill bring you an apple tomorrow to make up for it. :D As far as informational value goes KR is short for Knock retard (detination) and thats not good when you're FI (forced inducton). See look you learned 2 things today. :lol:

Holy lack of punctuation Batman......that was hard to read. :lol:

Makes you wonder about the informational value of the post all together. :P

wow!!! didnt know this was a essay that was getting graded teacher. Ill bring you an apple tomorrow to make up for it. :D As far as informational value goes KR is short for Knock retard (detination) and thats not good when you're FI (forced inducton). See look you learned 2 things today. :lol:

I'm hungry...Where's my apple?!?!??! :lol:

Holy lack of punctuation Batman......that was hard to read. :cheers:

:D

Makes you wonder about the informational value of the post all together. :D

wow!!! didnt know this was a essay that was getting graded teacher. Ill bring you an apple tomorrow to make up for it. :P As far as informational value goes KR is short for Knock retard (detination) and thats not good when you're FI (forced inducton). See look you learned 2 things today. :dunno:

Better you than me. I wouldn't give him an apple :P

Don

I don't see that much mileage drop going to E85. I think you need to check your numbers again. Even if you added 10% water, you probably wouldn't see a 10% drop in mileage. :sigh:

What's E85 going for in your state? I've seen E85 the same price as regular some places in MN and ND. It was significanty less when it was introduced 3-4 years ago but now the prices crept up. Someone is making money.

I'm a part time farmer, and I don't see a payoff for ethanol. Too many subsidies and it costs more in my vehicles. I shoot for fuel refined in the US....but that's just one opinion.

I don't see that much mileage drop going to E85. I think you need to check your numbers again. Even if you added 10% water, you probably wouldn't see a 10% drop in mileage. :lol:

What's E85 going for in your state? I've seen E85 the same price as regular some places in MN and ND. It was significanty less when it was introduced 3-4 years ago but now the prices crept up. Someone is making money.

I'm a part time farmer, and I don't see a payoff for ethanol. Too many subsidies and it costs more in my vehicles. I shoot for fuel refined in the US....but that's just one opinion.

Didn't drive by the station today. But over the weekend the station I usually go by was $1.509 and regular gas (10% ethanol) was 1.529. But went by another station, same day that was 1.279 for E85! Same gas price. :rollin:

I don't know if E85 is worth it or not. I save money with it in my truck. That statement was more true this summer when E85 was $1 cheaper per gallon! My parents grow corn, I work in the agriculture industry, so I justify it that way. No offense to Sandman or anyone else, but I prefer to patronize my locals. :sigh:

That's my 3 cents worth. :jester:

I was not referring to the cost savings when I started the thread. Simply making the point that ethanol blends do nothing to help the environment in my opinion. And my figures are correct. 10% drop in mileage. Checked it with the DIC and also with a calculator. This was 10% blend, not E85.

C

• 2 months later...
I was not referring to the cost savings when I started the thread. Simply making the point that ethanol blends do nothing to help the environment in my opinion. And my figures are correct. 10% drop in mileage. Checked it with the DIC and also with a calculator. This was 10% blend, not E85.

C

Sorry to drag this back up after 3 months but it's thinking like this that is screwed up. You are comparing your $ and a drop of 10% to environmental issued that you haven't even brought up in your subject. It's not about what the cost per mile is in terms of dollars. It's about alternative fuel sources so we aren't reliant on the freaking arabs. It's also about reduced emissions and particulates. That ethanol belnd of fuel lowers the emissions gasses significantly, helping people to breathe a bit better in congested cities and states. A news story i read last year outlined how a truck made today that gets 9mpg emits something like 90% less harmful emissions than a car that got 15mpg back in the 70s did. Just think, this is being done while increasing horsepower, mileage, longevity, and with fewer emissions components in place on our vehicles today. I remember the cars of the early 80s all had engine compartments full of smog pumps and tubing going everywhere in the hopes of reducing emissions. You couldn't even see the exhaust manifold if you tried on half the cars. Today, I own a truck that makes more power, gets better mileage, will last longer, pollutes less, can haul and tow more, and generally looks 100% better than one made 15 years ago when we used "real gas".

Another thing that the OP didn't state was what was being hauled, what the ambient temps were, or even what the wind was like. Our trucks are like bricks in the wind and I even notice a 2 or 3 mpg difference on some days when I am heading into the wind vs when there is little or no wind that day.

In any event, even though I don't like the 10% mix any more than anyone else, it is helping our environment.

C

I don't see that much mileage drop going to E85. I think you need to check your numbers again. Even if you added 10% water, you probably wouldn't see a 10% drop in mileage. :flag:

But if you don't like it, that's fine. Don't use it. :thumbs:

Well E85 is not 10% ethanol at all, E85 is all ethanol. Using E85 will give u a noticable decrease in mileage, but using "winter gas" (10% ethanol) should not change that much.

C

I don't see that much mileage drop going to E85. I think you need to check your numbers again. Even if you added 10% water, you probably wouldn't see a 10% drop in mileage. :flag:

But if you don't like it, that's fine. Don't use it. :thumbs:

Well E85 is not 10% ethanol at all, E85 is all ethanol. Using E85 will give u a noticable decrease in mileage, but using "winter gas" (10% ethanol) should not change that much.

Where did he say it was? And E85 is NOT "all ethanol", it is 85% Ethanol.

Archived