Fuel Filter In 2004 Sierra 5.3?

I have been told that not all 2004 Sierra's have a fuel filter? Is that true? How can i tell? I have been all up and down the frame rails and can not find one. My problem is that my truck is chugging and blowing black soot out the tail pipe. In addtition my mileage has dropped from 15 to 9-10. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Keebs

I have been told that not all 2004 Sierra's have a fuel filter? Is that true? How can i tell? I have been all up and down the frame rails and can not find one. My problem is that my truck is chugging and blowing black soot out the tail pipe. In addtition my mileage has dropped from 15 to 9-10. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Keebs

My 01 had a filter along the driver's side fram rail. It would be pretty obvious. At some point I believe they went to fuel strainers in the tank. Perhaps somebody with a bigger brain will chime in here.

Welcome to the ZOO.

In 2004 the filter was located in the tank and is non-serviceable with the exception of the flex-fuel 5.3 and the regular fuel 4.3 which remained on the frame rail through 2004. In 2005 the flex-fuel also went into the fuel tank. :P

Have a good one,

Don

+1 :fume:

:lol:

I would check your MAF sensor, sounds like its cruded up and making the motor run rich. If you do have to clean it there is only a special spray to clean it with and you can get it at the auto store. MAF sensor is in the air filter tube going to the throttle body. You should be getting some type of a code from the computer.

I would check your MAF sensor, sounds like its cruded up and making the motor run rich. If you do have to clean it there is only a special spray to clean it with and you can get it at the auto store. MAF sensor is in the air filter tube going to the throttle body. You should be getting some type of a code from the computer.

Siverado 4x4, thanks for the tip. I will try this tomorrow or Saturday. I will let you know if this solves the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Siverado 4x4, thanks for the tip. I will try this tomorrow or Saturday. I will let you know if this solves the problem.

Well I finally solved my problem. Blown gasket at the intake manifold. Only 48,000 on the clock. Is this common?

• 2 months later...

Well I finally solved my problem. Blown gasket at the intake manifold. Only 48,000 on the clock. Is this common?

this is real sad thing to read but when you do not change your air filter when you have to you woundn't have this problem.you to much dirty air got into your intake and this dry up the gasket and there goes your engine!you could have put some fuel treatment addtive like lucus fuel treatment which condition upper cylinder gaskets and cleans injecters that's what your problem was.also use mass air-flow cleaner.

this is real sad thing to read but when you do not change your air filter when you have to you woundn't have this problem.you to much dirty air got into your intake and this dry up the gasket and there goes your engine!you could have put some fuel treatment addtive like lucus fuel treatment which condition upper cylinder gaskets and cleans injecters that's what your problem was.also use mass air-flow cleaner.

Say WHAT?

An air filter that gets dirty does not let more dirt through. It lets less air through. an air filter is not like an oil filter as it doesn't have a bypass valve in case the filter gets clogged. Second, since when has fuel treatment treated your intake gaskets? I've honestly never heard of such a thing.

What!?

Archived