Amsoil Atf Or Dexron 6?

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD, with a 4L80E. I am do for a tranny service and im wondering if it is worth the extra money to go with the amsoil atf over the new dexron 6 which I here is also a synthetic? Post your views it will be greatly appreciated...

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD, with a 4L80E. I am do for a tranny service and im wondering if it is worth the extra money to go with the amsoil atf over the new dexron 6 which I here is also a synthetic? Post your views it will be greatly appreciated...

I would stay with the Dexron V1. It is licensed and approved by GM. I believe Amsoil is a universal fluid designed for several different transmissions. :lol:

Just my opinion,

Don

I have the Amsoil ATF in my 2008 GMC, my friend has it in his 2007 Durmax/Allison. He even had the GM dealer install it for him.

Nothing wrong with Amsoil ATF, it meets the same spec's as Dexron VI and Amsoil ATF is made with the finest base stocks and additives available.

There is nothing magical about the Dexron VI, its just a spec and anyone can build to that spec and beyond. They just have to want to invest in making a better ATF and Amsoil does. Amsoil buys all its additives from the same sources (Lubrizol. Exxon-Mobil Chemical to name a few) that other ATF makers do, its just the Amsoil buys the top shelf base stock and additives the others are not willing to spend extra $ on when other less expensive additives meet the spec.

Just because something is not approved by GM does not mean its not a good product. GM does not license anything for FREE, its how they make money.

I have used it over 28 yrs in all my vehicles.

So Elcamino you think that even though the amsoil atf is a universal fluid it still performs better then the dexron 6 atf? I gets to -40f here quite often so i was thinking it would be better in the colder weather?

Amsoil says their product meets or exceeds all requirements for Dextron, but it is not licensed or approved. You really don't know how how well it matches to what the transmissions need. Years ago I heard that Dexron III was the most developed lubricating fluid around - as it had decades behind it. Now they have an improved version, that supposedly will last twice as long as Dexron III.

Bottom line - if you have a vehicle under warranty, and want to keep it that way, use Dexron VI. For all the threads I have seen about tunes voiding warranties, I would be far more concerned about the tranny than the engine.

Amsoil says their product meets or exceeds all requirements for Dextron, but it is not licensed or approved. You really don't know how how well it matches to what the transmissions need. Years ago I heard that Dexron III was the most developed lubricating fluid around - as it had decades behind it. Now they have an improved version, that supposedly will last twice as long as Dexron III.

Bottom line - if you have a vehicle under warranty, and want to keep it that way, use Dexron VI. For all the threads I have seen about tunes voiding warranties, I would be far more concerned about the tranny than the engine.

You tell how well it works by test results. I would match it up against any other brand and it will come out close to the top in lab testing. They have a name to keep up. If it wasn't good they wouldn't put their name on it.

post-58413-1232951231_thumb.png

Redline D6ATF. This stuff is good to -60 and meets or exceds the requirements for Dexron VI.

You tell how well it works by test results. I would match it up against any other brand and it will come out close to the top in lab testing. They have a name to keep up. If it wasn't good they wouldn't put their name on it.

You pasted a comparison from Amsoil to Dexron III. GM has been quoted as saying Dexron VI will last at least twice as long as Dexron III. From your comparison, the Amsoil would be similar in that particular test to Dexron VI.

I am not saying that Amsoil does not make a good product. I am saying that especially for a fully "conventional" product, Dexron III was a very well developed product. Now they have improved it - significantly. I do not see the advantage in using a product that could void your warranty, for limited, unspecified, gains.

Amsol says it meets the specs, but it is not licensed, approved or certified By GM. API does not certify transmission fluids, only OEM manufacturers GM, Ford , Chrysler etc license and certify ATM fluid.

Amsoil is approved for multiple transmissions. That means one size fits all. With the different specs that manufactures require that may be hard to achieve. Not saying Amsoil is not good. I would put my money on what the manufacturer approves, especially if in warranty. :lol:

Don

Amsol says it meets the specs, but it is not licensed, approved or certified By GM. API does not certify transmission fluids, only OEM manufacturers GM, Ford , Chrysler etc license and certify ATM fluid.

Amsoil is approved for multiple transmissions. That means one size fits all. With the different specs that manufactures require that may be hard to achieve. Not saying Amsoil is not good. I would put my money on what the manufacturer approves, especially if in warranty. :lol:

Don

That is what the Magnuson-Moss act is for. Secondly and not trying to debate this I really want to help inform those that read this. If you have an oil related failure in your trans that the manufacturer won't cover under your factory or extended warranty Amsoil will cover it if your using Amsoil ATF or Torque Drive for the Allison.

Amsoil warranties its products all of them. In the case of Transmission fluids if used within manufacturers recommened maintanence intervals and service conditions you are covered by Amsoil if GM for instance denys you coverage.

I am not promoting Amsoil as much as I am informing people that your recommendation of what is endorsed by GM and what they say to use is not the gospel. What they promote, endorse, certify, or recommend makes them money pure and simple. If its a GM branded fluid (which they don't make) or another brand that has been certified, recommended or endorsed by them they are making money on it. In some cases they were paid millions to endorse or certify that fluid. Business first and that is what it is all about. The other element that has to be looked at is compamies like GM or Allison can make it almost impossible for those trying to certify products if they so choose. If they don't want thet company to have endorsments or certification.

My point is for those out there reading that just because you don't use what is endorsed by the manufacturer doesn't mean you will hurt your warranty. If you buy a radio and the manufacturer says use energizer batteries you won't effect the radio by using Duracell.

Its a game like any other business. I liken it to the years of the radio & music industry, it was called "Payola". You pay we play. It still happens to this day in other forms of commerce.

Thank You for your points and views as it helps all those who use this site for information, gather information to make their decisions on how they maintain their investments.

Dane

Don

That is what the Magnuson-Moss act is for. Secondly and not trying to debate this I really want to help inform those that read this. If you have an oil related failure in your trans that the manufacturer won't cover under your factory or extended warranty Amsoil will cover it if your using Amsoil ATF or Torque Drive for the Allison.

Amsoil warranties its products all of them. In the case of Transmission fluids if used within manufacturers recommened maintanence intervals and service conditions you are covered by Amsoil if GM for instance denys you coverage.

I am not promoting Amsoil as much as I am informing people that your recommendation of what is endorsed by GM and what they say to use is not the gospel. What they promote, endorse, certify, or recommend makes them money pure and simple. If its a GM branded fluid (which they don't make) or another brand that has been certified, recommended or endorsed by them they are making money on it. In some cases they were paid millions to endorse or certify that fluid. Business first and that is what it is all about. The other element that has to be looked at is compamies like GM or Allison can make it almost impossible for those trying to certify products if they so choose. If they don't want thet company to have endorsments or certification.

My point is for those out there reading that just because you don't use what is endorsed by the manufacturer doesn't mean you will hurt your warranty. If you buy a radio and the manufacturer says use energizer batteries you won't effect the radio by using Duracell.

Its a game like any other business. I liken it to the years of the radio & music industry, it was called "Payola". You pay we play. It still happens to this day in other forms of commerce.

Thank You for your points and views as it helps all those who use this site for information, gather information to make their decisions on how they maintain their investments.

Dane

Magnuson/Moss act does not come in to play here. GM can say you must use an approved oil to keep warranty. That being Dexron V1. Now there are several to choose from, not just the GM version. There is Castrol, Pennzoil. valvoline and others who make Dextron V1 and all are approve by GM. So your Magnuson/ moss act does not hold water. I am well aware of Amsoils warranty, but it is much easier to use what GM approves till out of warranty. Now don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Amsoil. I just don't always believe its the holy grail of oils.

And I still say one size fits all is not always the best. And there are engineers in the ATF industry that post on bobistheoilguy.com that agree with that.

also good read: pay attention to Whitewolfs post.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...t=5&fpart=3

Have a good one,

Don

And I still say one size fits all is not always the best. And there are engineers in the ATF industry that post on bobistheoilguy.com that agree with that.

The one you mention has a hatred for Amsoil and it always against it. They will discredit other products to get people to buy their products, its all about money.

There is no way that anyone can tell what brand ATF you got in your trans anyway. They could analyze it and they could not tell you is was Amsoil. There is no special ingredients in Dexron VI, it just sequence tests the lube has to pass. Additive companies develop licensed formulas that they offer to oil companies to re-license. It is inexpensive to re-license one of these formulas, and the majority of oil companies choose to do this to avoid the costs associated with testing their own formulas. This lowers the value of them because the same chemistry is being sold under many brand names. The lubricant formulas from AMSOIL INC. are unique and proprietary.

Btw - Some other ATF's

Transmission fluid - Castrol Multi-vehicle

Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF

Pennzoil® Multi-Vehicle ATF

to name a few

I have been around the BITOG forums for years and I never seen any of these so called experts show any credentials. Look at the bio's on some of the "experts in their own minds", one I recall was only 19yo but professed to know everything about lubes. Give me a break, BITOG is another forum with opinions, that's all. Just like it here.

We can send people in in outer space but its not possible to make a ATF that is universal? Hmm, I wonder why some of the oil companies makes universal ATF's then>

You are a long time Amsoil salesman. You are biased on this subject. Lest just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

And I have been a member on bobistheoilguy.com for a few years so I know is who on that forum.

have a good one.

Don

fyi

GM developed the trademarked fluid in conjunction with Afton Chemical Corp. and Petro-Canada Lubricants, and officials at all three companies described it as a significant advance beyond major existing specifications. Besides ratcheting up performance demands, the standard creates new hurdles expected to drive up licensing costs for additive and oil companies, including a requirement for fleet tests and insistence that new chemistries be compatible with those that are previously approved.

Archived