8.1l Won't Start No Power

Truckers,

I need help bad! This morning I went to start the truck. I opened the door, all my cabs lights came on. Went to turn the key to start and there was a click and then everything went black. I was thinking a fuse had blown or something. I looked at the ignition fuses they seem fine. I couldn't tell if the "big" square fuse/relays were good but I’m assuming they are. I tapped the starter to see if it was stuck. Nothing happen no power. I disconnected the battery and connected it back and still nothing. The battery is a brand new replacement for a Optima red top that would hold a charge. What could it be? My buddy, who gave me a lift, thinks it might be a starter solenoid in the steering column (he's a ford guy, so I don't know if GM does it that way).

My truck is a 2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 LS 8.1L Auto Ext Cab.

HELP Please!!!

Darrel

Do the lights still come on after you tried to start it? Or is there no power at all now?

If there appears to be no power at all, then test your battery to make sure it is okay. Then it may be that your starter is bad. Check to see if power is getting to the starter.

If you've got no power at all now, then I'd say one of the relays in the fuse box in the engine area is toast.

Another Abilene person, and we have the same name! Spelled differently :lol:

I'd check all my connections. Clean them. Including all grounds. As asked above, are any lights on now? Check the battery again.

Ok check this out, my boss left me off early today to go jack with my truck. I try to start it again and nothing, no power at all. We'll i've been reading up on the issue all day today. I looked on three different GM truck forums. I kept seeing things about a neutral start switch. I didn't know where the switch was so i decided to apply the parking brake, shift to neutral and try a crank. BAM! the beast comes alive like it was taking a nap! Does anybody know what happened exactly? I'm gonna figure it out in the mean time. Thanks for all the help guys!

:lol:

Darrel

Well here is the scoop. It is the starter going bad or is bad. Mine did the same thing. There is a fuse hidden in the box under the hood between two black relays. It is a 20 amp if memory serves. I came across it after many hours. Anyway, pull that and check it out, it will be blown. Replace and see if it tries to turn over. Mine turned over a few times and then blew the fuse again. I also went the neutral switch route, but that was NOT the issue. Ended up having to get my starter re-built as the 8.1 has a special series starter and no one had one in stock. Some sort of core shortage or something. Glad I did, the local guy was cheaper and he did it right, Plus I have the satisfaction of keeping my original. If you can't find the fuse I am talking about, let me know and I will go take a picture of it on my rig.

Bud

Archived