Mpg On 6.0 And 8.1 Liter 2500 Pick Ups?

I am a former Duramax owner who is looking at getting another pick up soon. You guy/gals with 2500 non-diesels, what kind of MPG do you get? Looking for a good daily driver that'll tow a 5000-6000 pound enclosed trailer. I sold my 2005 GMC CCLB SLT a while back, because I no longer needed to tow our 14000 pound toy hauler and it wasn't a practical daily driver for me. I'm looking at an extended or crew cab short bed. A 1500 with a 6.0 liter might even work for me. Thanks in advance. :seeya:

I'll put a vote in for the 1500 with a Vmax if you are looking for descent mileage. I have an 07 CC Vmax and it tows 5000lbs like there is nothing there. I considered a 2500HD and the mileage sucked too bad for a daily driver. Most I have talked to are getting around 10-11 in town and 13-14 on the highway with the 6.0. I cant imagine the 8.1 doing any better.

Welcome to the site.

That's kind of what I figured. What year was the MAX introduced? There doesn't seem to be a lot of them out there. Is it the same power plant as the 06 and earlier Denali, minus the AWD? The Sierra Denali seems like a nice rig, but they are pretty darn expensive. Oh, thanks for the welcome. :seeya:

MY truck has the 6L gas engine and the computer onboard says 9.4MPG but that is all city winter driving in 4x4 towing heavy loads half the time.

May get to do highway driving in the summer.

My palm pda has an app called fuel log and it says 10.21mpg but that doesn't account for idling on those -30C days.

Stock, 2005 8.1L with 4.10's, 255's and 4wd. Strickly in town : 9.2 mpg, mixed : 12.5 mpg, highway @65 mph : 14.1 mpg. All these numbers were empty and not towing.

DEWFPO

A 5.3L 1500 might even work with a few upgrades like bigger tranny cooler and a computer tune to unlock some of the horsepower. Mine isn't tuned yet but I pulled roughly that amount of weight on a regular basis but on an open utility 6x12 trailer that weighs 1500 empty. I've also pulled a 13,000 lb Bobcat/Tilt trailer combo before but the motor really struggled on hills. 4.10 or 4.56 gears would've really helped though...

I am your polar opposite. I have a 5.3 k1500. Unloaded, I average 13.5-15 mpg depending on how much time I spend at 55 (not really city, not really highway).

Loaded I average between 6 and 8 mpg regardless.

I need the D-max but have the 5.3.

I regularly (at least once a week) tow a 7000 lb 7.5x16 enclosed trailer. I have towed a skid steer and (seperately) a mini excavator on my 2500 lb 8.5x16 car trailer. I have carried 4200 lbs in the bed and a max of 14,700 lbs on my car trailer.

With a brake controller and a trans cooler, I have few problems. I know I am overworking the truck, but I maintain it quite well. Mine is an 03 with 125k miles and I'm sure the newer 5.3s get better mileage.

If I could do it over again, I would get the D-max. If I couldn't get the D-max, I'd get a quadrasteer 6.0.

I'll put a vote in for the 1500 with a Vmax if you are looking for descent mileage.

He may also be interested in the "ascent" mileage. You cannot just go downhill. Ocassionally you need to climb one too. :seeya:

I'll put a vote in for the 1500 with a Vmax if you are looking for descent mileage.

He may also be interested in the "ascent" mileage. You cannot just go downhill. Ocassionally you need to climb one too. :lol:

:lol: Thanks Pete for correcting that typo. I'm sure Keith was probably confused by that and you really added to the thread.

What nothing to say about AFM or the state of GM? :D

My 04 GMC 6.0L 4:10 2500HD auto gets 10 mpg - back and forth to work (hilly highway) and about 8 on the farm. If I had to do it over again I would get the 8.1L engine. It can't be any worse for mileage and at least you have the power you need.

Just my 2 cents.

Here are my #s:

My wife's 2001 2500HD 6.0L/4L85E gets about 9~10 towing, 11~12 around town, and 16 on the highway @ 70mph.

My 2002 2500HD 8.1/ZF 6sp gets 9~10 towing, 11 around town, and upper 14s on the highway @ 70mph.

I think the reason hers gets better is because mine is so fun to drive, that I can't resist stomping the loud pedal once in a while.

Archived